This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Best CON audio books?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Pete » December 15th, 2006, 11:08 am

I've qot a copy of The Silver Chair read by Ian Richardson. It's quite good, for the most part. My only issue with it is the fact that it is abridged.

Also, I purchased the Focus on the Family audio dramas earlier in the year. I must admit, it does fall short in some areas, of my expectations though, I would have listed the voice of Aslan in there, but to be honest, that has grown on me each time I've listened to them, however, I do struggle with the voice of Puzzle (as Warrior 4 Jesus mentioned) and Strawberry/Fledge, also, the voices of the Calormenes are too Western (I'm not saying they should be Middle Eastern or Asian or anything else...but perhaps something other than Western? I understand why they wouldn't want to get them as Middle Eastern or Asian, because it could be seen as discriminating, but they sound just as Narnian as the Narnians themselves...all bar Prince Rabadash who's just a ranting nut of a voice! :lol:)... but perhaps my chief disappointment with it though is the fact that the Grand Vizier is not in the scene in that secret room in the Tisroc's house, which is a real shame in my opinion - as he had some of the best lines in the Chronicles, in my honest opinion.
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » December 15th, 2006, 1:16 pm

Aslan's voice on the Focus on the Family dramas seems a little overdone, but it isn't too bad once you get used to it. I liked his voice on the old BBC series better even though they couldn't the mouth movements exactly right. Ian Richardson was good at reading Aslan's part (especially the voice) in the abridged audio recordings of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and The Silver Chair. I liked the voice of Aslan in Andrew Adamson's movie version too, but I thought he should have been given a bigger role.

Larry W.

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » December 18th, 2006, 3:17 am

well I am excited that it is almost christmas so I can give my hubbie his/our present!

I think I am going to make sure that we have a way to listen to them on the way home............
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 18th, 2006, 4:58 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » December 18th, 2006, 8:57 pm

"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » December 18th, 2006, 11:45 pm

I loved The Voyage of the Dawn Treader the best of the Focus on the Family dramas. It's very close to the book with very little of the story left out (it's about three hours long) and includes background music from Holst's Planets. There is more of the original story in it than in the BBC television version, which I also enjoyed. The actors in the Focus on the Family dramas might have made good actors, though I only heard their voices. Andrew Adamson will probably do Voyage of the Dawn Treader in a few years. I hope he will make the movie of Dawn Treader as good as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 20th, 2006, 4:16 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 20th, 2006, 8:55 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 20th, 2006, 1:31 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 20th, 2006, 3:05 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 21st, 2006, 4:23 am

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 22nd, 2006, 8:02 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 23rd, 2006, 12:55 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 24th, 2006, 5:43 am

*Hangs head in shame*

I just realized this morning that I COULD/SHOULD have bought it from your bookstore. :blush: It even cost less! It never occurred to me.

:grin:
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » December 24th, 2006, 8:41 am

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia