This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Best CON audio books?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Larry W. » 24 Dec 2006, 15:46

I bought the CD's separately at my own local Christian bookstore. After I heard the first two dramas I decided I wanted the whole set, which is more expensive if bought seperately, although each set of two or thee CD's is in a very good vinyl case. In about a year I collected all seven dramas. It is more expensive to buy them that way, but the money isn't wasted since you are supporting a Christian book store with your purchase. I think the money was well spent. It's like donating money to the church since those who own the bookstores probably give generously to the churches that support them in the purchases of books and other items.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 27 Dec 2006, 08:44

I KNOW what you guys mean about the horrible Aslan voice in the FotF version. It is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! What were they thinking, rendering one of the most deservedly majestic voices in all of fiction like THAT?! It would be laughable, if it weren't such a travesty. It makes him hard to take seriously.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » 27 Dec 2006, 08:56

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:I KNOW what you guys mean about the horrible Aslan voice in the FotF version. It is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! What were they thinking, rendering one of the most deservedly majestic voices in all of fiction like THAT?! It would be laughable, if it weren't such a travesty. It makes him hard to take seriously.

Horrible and terrible? :undecided: :??: Hmmm...I'm not sure I'd go that far. Actually, at first I was like: "WHAT??!! :shocked:" myself, but now, as I said earlier in this thread, it really has grown on me - and I don't think it's horrible and terrible at all. It's not what I'd have chosen for His voice, but I can hear the Aslan within the voice now. :wink:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » 27 Dec 2006, 15:04

I don't think Aslan's voice on Focus on the Family is so bad, but I like other actors doing it better. It's overbearing and overdone, not as I had pictured the real Aslan, who would sound deep and majestic while still retaining the feline quality of a Lion. The Focus on the Family's Aslan does remind me somewhat of a cat if it could talk, but it is more like a house cat than a noble, regal Lion. I think it's better if an actor with a deep voice plays a lion, but maybe it shouldn't be requirement. Some cartoons on television have voices that don't seem to fit big animals like bears, elephants, whales, which doesn't seem very convincing to me. Maybe children who watch them don't notice or don't care very much if the voice doesn't remind them of the real animals.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 27 Dec 2006, 17:02

James Earl Jones. Now THAT's Aslan.

Sean Connery (maybe).

I will of course listen to the whole series, and maybe the voice of Aslan will grow on me, or I will forget its annoying qualities. but I am convinced they could easily have done far better. :undecided: :wink:
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » 27 Dec 2006, 18:09

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:James Earl Jones. Now THAT's Aslan

No...that's Vader. :tongue:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (oh, wait...some of you youngsters don't know what that sounds like), the best voice for Aslan would be Michael Dorn.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 27 Dec 2006, 19:47

Aslan: "Destroy them, Captain!"
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » 27 Dec 2006, 20:17

well silly me has left the cd's in Omak and I won't get them until my brother and his family come home in a couple days.....grrrrr......
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 27 Dec 2006, 20:26

DANG!!!

Welcome home dear Shadowland!!! Didst thou have exceedingly much fun and peace? :grin:
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » 27 Dec 2006, 20:51

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:DANG!!!

Welcome home dear Shadowland!!! Didst thou have exceedingly much fun and peace? :grin:

goodness! We had SO much fun! Connecting with lost relatives can be ackward, but we had so much fun from the start. So much laughing and eating and playing. I got to ride a four-wheeler which I haven't done in ages! Lots of fun there, my uncle is a firefighter and had his own water truck, which Owen thought was the best.....well until he saw the little backhoe and dozer... :grin: We ate lots of good food, barely diminishing the supply, played Apples to Apples and laughed our heads off and went and checked out the piece of property my parents bought there! So much fun!!!
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » 28 Dec 2006, 02:45

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:James Earl Jones. Now THAT's Aslan.

Sean Connery (maybe).

I will of course listen to the whole series, and maybe the voice of Aslan will grow on me, or I will forget its annoying qualities. but I am convinced they could easily have done far better. :undecided: :wink:

James Earl Jones has a very deep, majestic voice which would be great for Aslan. I remember some programs about Africa on PBS' Nature in which he was the narrator. He was about as good as George Page (who was Nature's host for many years and passed away a few months ago). Page would also have made a good Aslan. I don't know too much about Sean Connery-- I haven't seen too many James Bond movies. Some people in broadcasting have rich voices would work very well for a lion, e.g. Larry King or perhaps Ian McKellan who was Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » 28 Dec 2006, 05:37

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:James Earl Jones. Now THAT's Aslan.

I used to say the same until it was pointed out to me, that he was just too much the obvious choice. Yes, his voice would have been great for Aslan, but I think I agree that he is too obvious a choice for Aslan's voice.

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:Sean Connery (maybe).

Now that's food for thought. :coffee: :think:

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:I will of course listen to the whole series, and maybe the voice of Aslan will grow on me, or I will forget its annoying qualities. but I am convinced they could easily have done far better. :undecided: :wink:

I honestly think that it will [grow on you]. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the FotF voice of Aslan in about a month's time (or once you've listened to the whole series - more than once). :wink:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » 28 Dec 2006, 07:07

Aslan's voice hasn't grown on me and I've listened to them all quite a bit!:undecided:

Aslan and Hercule Poirot do not mix!:angry:

Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 28 Dec 2006, 08:19

I did not love Liam Neeson's voice as Aslan in the latest movies, though it was not horrible. I think they could have digitally "lioned" it a bit--given it some growl here and there and stuff. It was too human. But FAR more likeable than Hercule Poroit's --at least to a beginning listener *nods to Pete*

Sean Connery could do a good Aslan I think. Did you ever see Dragon Heart? He was excellent as the Dragon.

Let's see, who else??

Kevin Costner? (Naaaaah! :lol: )

John's right--Michael Dorn WOULD be wonderful as Aslan, but only if he could find a way to make us think "Aslan" and not "Worf".

Ooh I know! Morgan Freeman. He'd have to deepen it a little (and of course get an accent) but he has a neat voice.

Yes Ian McKellan would be great too...though I always imagined a little more youth in the voice.

Oh yeah, if he did some good voice acting, I bet Patrick Stewart could pull it off too. But he would have to work hard for us not to hear Pickard instead of Aslan.
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby john » 28 Dec 2006, 10:09

Messenger_of_Eden wrote:John's right--Michael Dorn WOULD be wonderful as Aslan, but only if he could find a way to make us think "Aslan" and not "Worf".

And I have the same hang-up with James Jones. The man has been typecast as Darth Vader and Mufasa (from The Lion King). I couldn't possibly get past that.

Patrick Stewart would do well...I've seen him in other performances enough not to just think Jean Luc Piccard.

Ian McKellan? As good as he may be, I seriously doubt he'd ever be asked.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia