This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What was Jack thinking?

Please don't close the door behind you.

What was Jack thinking?

Postby Tharkun » November 24th, 2006, 3:28 pm

"The books don't tell us what happened to Susan. She is left alive in this world at the end, having by then turned into a rather silly, conceited young woman. But there is plenty of time for her to mend, and perhaps she will get into Aslan's country in the end - in her own way." - C. S. Lewis, Letters to Children

As some of you may know, I am a heretic. And what I am about to say may very well shatter your 2456317 minds, be ye warned.
But I believe Lewis was planning or at least contemplating a sequel to Narnia.
First look at the above quote,
“But there is plenty of time for her to mend, and perhaps she will get into Aslan's country in the end” (emphasis mine)
Rather an odd tense to use for a fictional character whose story is over don’t you think?
Compare it, if you like, to this alternative way of saying the same thing,
But she had plenty of time to mend, and perhaps she found a way into Aslan's country in the end”
That is, it is saying the same thing if Susan is no longer in play in our reality.
And then there is the matter of the rings, a horrendous lose end to be left dangling.
Records show that TLB was written in a very short period of time. Perhaps he just kept shoving this matter aside until later, and then never got around to it. Or perhaps he intentionally left the matter of Susan and the rings unresolved so that they could be resolved together in a latter book. A book that was never written, or was it? Partially at any rate. There is no doubt that the Lewis estate still has unpublished material. Could this be why they did not allow Centaur’s cave and Brave Again to be published?
Obviously it is not a full manuscript, or it would have been published by now. But even if it is just an outline, a few notes, rough ideas could it not be put into publishable form? Perhaps it never got beyond a vague idea, perhaps…
I must have something to work on...I cannot burn snow.

:roll:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby carol » November 24th, 2006, 7:43 pm

It may surprise you to know that Lewis told at least one child in a letter that he had finished writing about Narnia (can't quote, maybe someone else has the reference).
And what about the obvious - how can anyone write about a place that has been destroyed in their previous book?

Sorry, no. From a Christian point of view, which is also the one Lewis wrote from, it is clear that Susan is being left to make up her own mind, just as real "former Christians" in our world. She has the facts, she has had the experience, and the encounter with the One who is the Lion in Narnia.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 24th, 2006, 7:53 pm

The problem that I have with Lewis planning a sequel to The Last Battle is that the ending to that book seems so final. Although we aren't certain what happens to Susan we can be reasonably certain that Narnia has come to an end at the end of the book. I really doubt that Lewis would have started another fantasy series since he seemed to have accomplished his objective with Narnia-- the Christian fantasy stories from the beginning to the end of that world. I always regarded the destiny of Susan as mystery which may not be our business to know about. Judging her or speculating on happened to her might be beyond our perspective, though one wonders why Lewis wanted this "loose end" in The Last Battle.

Larry W.

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » November 24th, 2006, 8:33 pm

I agree with Larry and Carol on this one. I doubt that Lewis was planning another book. He had plenty of other books that he was working on.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 24th, 2006, 8:44 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » November 24th, 2006, 11:08 pm

I doubt he meant to write a further story about it, but I'm sure he wanted his correspondent to realize that in the context of the existing story it was not too late for Susan to repent and turn back to God, and that it is never too late for any one of us to turn back if we stray.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Mavramorn » November 25th, 2006, 2:18 am

I always thought at the end of LB Aslan is bringing an end to all worlds. That is to say, the end of Narnia is also the end of everything, hence the 'real' England being there aswel. Actually, thinking about it, this makes LB even more heartbreaking than it already is.
"Could it be true, that I hold here in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest...green?"
Mavramorn
Wardrobian

I think he is talking about salvation ... not a new book

Postby Friend » November 25th, 2006, 6:27 am

Friend
Wardrobian

Postby Narnian Musician » November 25th, 2006, 7:03 am

thanks to A#minor for the graphics!
Narnian Musician
Wardrobian

But....

Postby Friend » November 25th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Friend
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 25th, 2006, 1:44 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » November 25th, 2006, 3:55 pm

Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 25th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 25th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: What was Jack thinking?

Postby a_hnau » November 26th, 2006, 8:04 pm

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia