This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What was Jack thinking?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Re: What was Jack thinking?

Postby Erekose » November 26th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby David » November 26th, 2006, 11:32 pm

I think Lewis always held up the chilling possibility that people might be lost after all. Susan makes a decision to leave her belief in Narnia and she is excluded at the end. I remember how, in The Great Divorce, the narrator is still a ghost when the dawn comes. He doesn't make it in, just as Susan doesn't.

Lewis knew Pilgrim's Progress. He probably considered it an exemplar of Christian writing. At the end of that book, someone is cast away from the very gate of Heaven and the narrator is reminded that there is a path to hell even from the very verge of heaven.

As much as we want to get Susan into Aslan's Land, she didn't make it.
The way, the weather, the terrain, the discipline, the leadership. --Sun Tzu
David
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » November 27th, 2006, 3:08 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Re: What was Jack thinking?

Postby a_hnau » November 27th, 2006, 7:31 am

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 27th, 2006, 6:09 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » November 28th, 2006, 9:49 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » November 28th, 2006, 3:00 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » November 29th, 2006, 3:10 pm

I must have something to work on...I cannot burn snow.

:roll:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Edisonbaggins » December 1st, 2006, 8:00 pm

What are Centaur's Cave and Brave Again please?
Member of the 8765309 Club
Edisonbaggins
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » December 3rd, 2006, 2:30 am

Centaur's Cave is a novel about Susan after Narnia, it was written by a Carmelite Nun (no other information on her is available) Brave Again is a short story along the same vane, written by Michel Faber. I have absolutely no idea of what kind of quality either story is, because I have not read them, because almost no one has read them, because almost no one can read them! Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say almost no one may read them.
Why? Who knows, the Lewis estate does not seem to feel inclined to tell us. For years it was thought that perhaps they just felt Narnia was too sacred to let any one else touch, a stand that I can certainly respect, even if I am not certain it is how Lewis would have felt, but then came the Giant Surprise.
So now after years of apparently stonewalling legitimate questions for no reason, they decide to answer ridiculous questions nobody ask.

Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 3rd, 2006, 11:34 am

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » December 3rd, 2006, 3:50 pm

I guess the two stories are locked away somewhere, and probably no one except Lewis' survivng family and perhaps some friends of the estate have read them. However, we don't know if Lewis personally approved them or if they were created after his death. It doesn't seem likely that he would have wanted any sequels to his books written by someone else-- he might have considered something like that to be a farce. Any stories about Narnia not written by Lewis couldn't be considered part of his canon, so we wouldn't be told the true story of Susan from another author's point of view.

Larry W.

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 3rd, 2006, 4:04 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » December 3rd, 2006, 4:25 pm

The problem is that something which isn't canon may not be completely what the original author intended. We don't really know what Lewis thought of the Susan stories if he did read them (and we are not even sure if they were written during his lifetime). I don't think Narnia stories written by someone else would be the real thing unless the author collaborated with Lewis, which he would most likely have not permitted. Lewis was even against dramatizations of his books so it would seem unlikely that he would want anyone else tampering with his work. If he did suggest that someone should write a concluding story about Susan he may have meant that in humor. It's hard to believe that he would be serious about having a Narnia sequel when it is seems so clear that The Last Battle was the conclusion.

Larry W.

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Tharkun » December 4th, 2006, 2:41 am

Tharkun
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia