This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"A Spell for the Refreshment of the Spirit"

Please don't close the door behind you.

"A Spell for the Refreshment of the Spirit"

Postby matdonna » December 21st, 2006, 3:33 am

I've been re-reading the Chronicles, and as I was reading The Voyage of the Dawn Treader some thoughts coalesced for me, so that I have started a new blog about stories (books, movies, whatever) that are "refreshing to the spirit." If you think you might be interested, please drop by. Leave a comment if you wish.

:read:
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 21st, 2006, 3:06 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » December 23rd, 2006, 1:42 am

Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » December 23rd, 2006, 5:00 am

Oh, yes. I read Tolkien for refreshment too, but you have to have the time available to read all of LotR. I'll sometimes just pick up the Adventures of Tom Bombadil, or the Hobbit for a quickie.

L.M. Montgomery is one author that I turn to for spiritual refreshment when I'm just so tired out mentally and spiritually that I can barely even find the energy to read. Her stories are so simple and sweet and wholesome that I always find nourishment in the little doings of village people.
Recently when I felt tired, I read The Story Girl and The Golden Road by Montgomery. Two lovely books.
L.M. Alcott is another author with wholesome stories like that.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby AslansGirl » December 30th, 2006, 5:07 pm

I recently rediscovered The Secret Garden. I was reading it to my sister. I had forgotten how good it was. Very refreshing. And then I got the sound track to the broadway musical of the same name. That was awesome. Very uplifting and refreshing though it's pretty dark most of the way through. I get goose bumps when Dicken sings, even after eight months. But that's probably just because I'm a musical theater geek. :pleased:
If you are what you should be, you will set the workd ablaze!
AslansGirl
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » December 31st, 2006, 11:31 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » December 31st, 2006, 11:32 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 1st, 2007, 3:56 am

My favorite movie version of the Secret Garden is the Hallmark one with all the Chopin Nocturnes for a soundtrack. I adore Chopin.
A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia