This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

The Last Battle

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Pete » February 24th, 2007, 12:57 am

Wow!! Good quote, A#minor! :smile:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » February 24th, 2007, 3:11 am

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby David Jack » February 24th, 2007, 7:08 pm

well chosen quote indeed, A#Minor. I take my hat off to whomever has that as their sig. line :wink:

if i can interject a bit of personal experience here, i chose that quote as my signature in the first place because i have been in emeth's position. if you look at the passage carefully it is emeth who said he had been serving tash his whole life, and aslan who gently corrects him: the point being that aslan knows emeth better than he knows himself. those calormenes who enslaved and mistreated the narnians were doing the will of tash, while emeth with every good deed and positive aspiration was rejecting and turning away from him. like the athenians in acts, he was serving the unknown god who was the source of righteousness until aslan (like paul) turned up to tell him who he had really been worshipping. the fact that he had formerly used the name 'Tash' is irrelevant from that perspective.
"This is and has been the Father’s work from the beginning-to bring us into the home of His heart.” George MacDonald.
David Jack
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » February 24th, 2007, 7:16 pm

Thanks, David Jack, for bringing the quote to my attention in the first place!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Brackish Potato » March 2nd, 2007, 8:59 pm

This thread prompted me to register to the forums. I was recently listening to TLB on CD w/ my husband and was surprised to hear the bit about Emeth b/c I didn't remember it from reading the book years ago.
My point about Emeth is that if he had been serving Tash faithfully all his life, then he would know about the human sacrifices, etc. that even the Narnians knew about. If he had such a good heart, how could he knowingly serve such a god? And how could Aslan account that to him for righteousness?
I love reading Lewis and usually glean much inspiration from his writings, but this is one of the instances where I must strongly disagree w/ his doctrine.
Brackish Potato
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » March 3rd, 2007, 1:34 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 6:30 am

"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 3rd, 2007, 10:27 am

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm

"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 3rd, 2007, 10:22 pm

Respectfully also, Arden, it would seem to me that Aslan is telling Emeth that he was seeking Truth, he might not have found out His name - Aslan, but he was seeking it. And remember what the Bible says about seeking? :wink:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby ArdenZ » March 3rd, 2007, 10:38 pm

How can he be following truth when he blatantly rejects Aslan, who is Truth? "You shall know the truth...". Well, he obviously did not know the truth.

The thing is, as I stated earlier, it was after death that Aslan came to him. I really wouldn't have a problem with Aslan telling him that before he went into the stable (because God is a jealous god). The Bible also says, "it is appointed for man once to die, and after this the judement" (Hebrews 9:27).
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 3rd, 2007, 11:32 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » March 4th, 2007, 2:27 pm

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » March 5th, 2007, 2:06 pm

If you were subjects of Maleldil, you would have peace.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby Brackish Potato » March 5th, 2007, 8:49 pm

Brackish Potato
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia