This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"C. S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia"

Please don't close the door behind you.

"C. S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia"

Postby Paul F. Ford » January 15th, 2007, 2:47 am

Disk Three of the four-disk extended version of Walden Media movie of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is entirely devoted to what I think is the best, most interesting, and most entertaining documentary about C. S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia yet made.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did help the writer/producer/director David Melvin and he did include interviews with me in all nine parts of the film. David playfully animated the coloured versions of Pauline Baynes's illustrations. He found wonderful children to read roles from the books and he hilariously captured Peter Cousin, the Oxford cabbie who takes people on Lewis tours.

I'd be interested in what you think of "C. S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia." I understand that the four-disk extended version will be on sale only until the end of January 2007.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Maid of Ithilien » January 15th, 2007, 3:14 am

Ooh, I'd better buy it! I tried to rent it and Blockbuster did not have it at all!
Maid of Ithilien
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » January 15th, 2007, 3:49 am

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 15th, 2007, 9:34 am

Paul, I am very impressed by this "feature". It's a new approach to Lewis, his life and the books.

The mixture of material, youngsters doing "Reader's Theatre", animated Baynes illustrations, expert interviews and voice-over/narration is well balanced.

On Narniaweb, those who have bought the EE agree that it was worth buying it just for Disc 3.

Well done, everyone involved!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 15th, 2007, 5:53 pm

Oooh, now you've got me all curious and I might just have to run out and buy the EE of a movie I already have!
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby engdevin » January 21st, 2007, 7:16 pm

Hello, Paul,

This is Devin Brown weighing in. I heartily agree that "Dreamer of Narnia" is the best, most interesting, and most entertaining documentary about C. S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia yet made.

It means that once and for all this ground (the life and words of CSL) has been covered and so documentary makers can and should take up other aspects of CSL.

In addition, I would claim that "Dreamer of Narnia" also provides us with the most awe-filled image of Aslan yet produced on film.

In a letter written to his friend Arthur Greeves, Lewis noted how ancient myths were “suggestive of meanings beyond my grasp.” The visual image of Aslan in this extraordinary documentary is able to suggest a power and a mystery which any representation of Aslan needs.

Can you (or anyone) shed a little more light on who made this wonderful video, who paid for it (it must have cost a fortune), and why there are no credits at the end?
engdevin

Postby Leslie » January 21st, 2007, 8:55 pm

I wasn't planning to get the EE, but now, I evidently have no choice!
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » January 22nd, 2007, 2:21 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on the deadline, Paul. Will have to go find it straight away.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » January 23rd, 2007, 1:03 am

Thanks, Paul, for the heads-up.

Would the disc-three documentary be good for an adult Sunday School session (or sessions) do you think?

How long is it, by the way?

Thanks.

Adam Linton
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby girlfreddy » January 23rd, 2007, 4:57 am

How would telling people to be nice to one another get a man crucified? What government would execute Mister Rogers or Captain Kangaroo?
Philip Yancey

http://girlfreddy.wordpress.com/
girlfreddy
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 23rd, 2007, 6:10 am

It's about an hour long. Paul, do you know anything more about who made it etc?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » January 23rd, 2007, 6:54 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » January 23rd, 2007, 9:36 pm

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Maid of Ithilien » January 25th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Maid of Ithilien
Wardrobian