This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"C. S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia"

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » 26 Jan 2007, 13:53

I just watched Dreamer of Narnia last night and it was DELIGHTFUL!! Wow it was well-made. I was almost jumping out of my seat at the first scenes with the Lion--it was so incredibly PERFECTLY like the depiction of Aslan singing Narnia into existence. And that lion was very unique looking too. What a beauty! Made me want to cry!

And Paul it was fun seeing a Wardrobian there too!

And who did the Narration/CS Lewis autobiography part--it sure sounded like John Rhys-Davies.
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » 27 Jan 2007, 01:33

O.K. Just ordered it for my adult Sunday School. (I think I'll break it into two 45 minute sessions; 30 minutes viewing with 15 minutes follow-up conversation. Probably use it in May.)
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

Postby Biff » 29 Jan 2007, 02:49

I ordered the extended edition on amazon and waited patiently for it to arrive (it had to get to australia). It finally arrived the other day and the Lewis doco was the first thing i watched. It was worth the $50 dollars i paid just for that disc!!!
"With hindsight perhaps it wasn't a good idea, oh well must be my hind cataracts..." Prof H.J. Farnsworth

"It was not for nothing that you are called Ransom" said the Voice..
Biff
Wardrobian

Postby Paul F. Ford » 10 Feb 2007, 17:48

carol wrote:Paul, do you know anything more about who made it etc?

The filmmaker is M. David Melvin, a graduate of Westmont College in Montecito, California. His vocation as filmmaker was inspired by Dr. Greg Spencer, the professor who is interviewed on the film. I think he is in his thirties and a new father. His wife was the makeup person on this film.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 11 Feb 2007, 18:13

Thank you. He has a great gift for creativity - in a very accessible way.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Adam Linton » 12 Feb 2007, 02:47

Just to offer my own word here, briefly. I ordered the expanded version, including Dreamer of Narnia - and found it an outstanding documentary; very well done. As it's about 75 minutes, I'm going to break it into three portions for as many sessions of my Adult Sunday School class, allowing for discussion time, as well. I'm going to use this as an introduction for a parish wide invitation to read the Chronicles during this coming Lent and Eastertide - using Paul's recommended order of reading, of course!
we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream
Adam Linton
Wardrobian

C.S. Lewis' Dream of Narnia

Postby Reep » 28 Feb 2007, 00:56

Paul F. Ford wrote:Disk Three of the four-disk extended version of Walden Media movie of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is entirely devoted to what I think is the best, most interesting, and most entertaining documentary about C. S. Lewis and the Chronicles of Narnia yet made... I'd be interested in what you think of "C. S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia." I understand that the four-disk extended version will be on sale only until the end of January 2007.

Thank you, Paul; as I was ordering it I did not expect that I will agree with you so completely. The Disk Three took my breath away! After I had watched it for five or ten minutes it began to feel not like a movie, but truly like a dream. Or more precisely like a majestic but a very detailed painting, like a symphony. Composed in honour of and as a gift for this unique... Lover of God and of Mankind!

Lover of All God's Children - and of one little girl. Watching the group of the young readers, I suddenly remembered - and began to look for - Lucy Barfield. Just for a brief flash of her face; just for a passing mention of her name. Was she not also a meaningful and significant part of C.S. Lewis' Dream of Narnia? Something felt missing; more and more so. Almost like the very first page of the very first Chronicle would be torn out.

This feeling became so strong that after the dream ended I went to my shelf, picked up and opened the book. The page seemed to me completely new; I did not expect to find there what I found now.

"My Dear Lucy, I wrote this story for you. Because I already loved you when you were very little, love you now, and I will love you as long as I live..."

P.S. You still can find all four disks for $33 at Amazon; they say you can still place orders until inventory runs out. As I just did - again!
Last edited by Reep on 15 Mar 2007, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Further up and further in! -- The Last Battle
Reep
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » 15 Mar 2007, 17:42

I finally got my extended edition, and watched disk 3 -- it was captivating and delightful! And the ending made me cry.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

two awards for "C.S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia"!

Postby Paul F. Ford » 03 Apr 2007, 21:47

I just thought everyone would like to know that The Accolade Competition gave its best of television show honors to "C.S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia."

The Accolade honors latest winners:

(La Jolla, CA, 04/02/07)  -  The Accolade is proud to announce the first of the 2007 Accolade Competition winners.

The Accolade Competition recognizes film, television and videography professionals who demonstrate exceptional achievement in craft and creativity, and those who produce standout entertainment or contribute to profound social change.  Entries are judged by highly qualified professionals in the film and television industry.

Thomas Baker, Ph.D., who chairs the competition, had this to say about the latest winners, ?The Accolade is not an easy award to win. It helps set the standard for craft and creativity. The judges were pleased with the exceptionally high quality of entries in this year?s first round of judging. The goal of The Accolade is to help the winners of this coveted award achieve the recognition they deserve.?

Information about The Accolade and clips of the Best of Show winners are streamed on The Accolade website at www.accoladecompetition.org <http://www.accoladecompetition.org> .

Best of Show Winners - Television

Herzog Cowen Entertainment, C.S. Lewis: Dreamer Of Narnia, documentary, explores the beloved fantasy world and the life of the man behind the mythology of Narnia. It was shot and distributed as a DVD bonus for Disney’s The Chronicles of Narnia. First-rate narration, in the form of a letter written to children, is a marvelous storytelling concept. (www.herzogcowen.com <http://www.herzogcowen.com> )

Award of Excellence Winners - Television

Herzog Cowen Entertainment, Dreamer Of Narnia, sound editing/sound mixing
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Re: C.S. Lewis' Dream of Narnia

Postby carol » 04 Apr 2007, 03:23

Reep wrote:This feeling became so strong that after the dream ended I went to my shelf, picked up and opened the book. The page seemed to me completely new; I did not expect to find there what I found now.

"My Dear Lucy, I wrote this story for you. Because I already loved you when you were very little, love you now, and I will love you as long as I live..."

Reep, I have no idea what you mean by this. Please could you explain? The dedication has not changed. Or are you saying that some editions have changes?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » 04 Apr 2007, 18:31

Carol, I think Reep was saying that is the "between the lines" dedication.
"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Lucy Barfield and The Dream

Postby Reep » 05 Apr 2007, 00:24

carol wrote:
Reep wrote:This feeling became so strong that after the dream ended I went to my shelf, picked up and opened the book. The page seemed to me completely new; I did not expect to find there what I found now.

Reep, I have no idea what you mean by this. Please could you explain? The dedication has not changed. Or are you saying that some editions have changes?

Yes, dear carol, loeee is correct. Dedication certainly will never change! Only being moved (swept away?) by the tremendous love of C.S. Lewis, which the producer seemed trying to convey, I read his words in a fresh and for me completely unexpected way. Which for Lucy Barfield herself most probably was evident immediately.

And just as his love of God and of people made him so popular and influential in his other writings, so his love "for this little girl" was, as he himself says, the main motive and the starting point of the Chronicles.

P.S. I wish you could see her picture! And by the way - then and there I just wanted to share my, it seemed, unusual experience. I never intended "to criticize the entire symphony"; in fact - after seeing it - I bought and gave away four more copies of the entire set. One of them reached Lithuania just in time for Easter; only three days ago.
Reep
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 07 Apr 2007, 23:47

Thank you both - sorry for being a bit thick, but I couldn't quite work out what was really meant, since I knew the dedication couldn't actually change!
carol
Wardrobian

Still available

Postby Reep » 16 Aug 2007, 15:45

Reep on February 28 wrote: You still can find all four disks for $33 at Amazon; they say you can still place orders until inventory runs out. As I just did.

Just rechecked - amazing, this four-disc extended version is still available! Now for $39 (for only $17 used). And the Disc Three alone - C.S. Lewis: Dreamer of Narnia - still continues to be worth the price of the entire set. With Lucy Barfield or without! :wink:

I watched it "only" four times so far. But gave away five copies as a gift.

P.S. Is it legitimate to offer the direct link to Amazon? If not I will erase it immediately: http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia ... 087&sr=1-6
Reep
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » 16 Aug 2007, 16:19

I just ordered it from Amazon... used, like new $17.
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia