This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Other Books of Enchantment

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby nomad » March 9th, 2007, 11:53 pm

Definitely Watership Down and The Prydain Chronicles. I wouldn't read The Book of Three for a long time because it had a scary picture on the cover. :blush: But when I finally did, I loved it.

And by George MacDonald Photogen and Nycteris or Day Boy and Night Girl and the rest of the book it's in.
member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 10th, 2007, 3:24 am

Postby carol » March 10th, 2007, 3:53 am

Most of Diana Wynne Jones (under Jones, not Wynne) books are super - very creative and imaginative. One or two are too dark, but there's only one I won't read again because it seems spiritually evil. She's my favourite living author.

When she was a girl, she met Arthur Ransome (the Swallows & Amazons man).
carol
Wardrobian

Postby EmmaG1959 » March 12th, 2007, 4:08 pm

EmmaG1959

Postby Dale Nelson » March 13th, 2007, 1:10 am

It's not Narnian in tone, but let me recommend anyway a book I never see mentioned: The Little Grey Men by Watkins-Pitchford (beautifully illustrated by the author). I think that Lewis might have responded to the author-illustrator's feeling for the English countryside. It's about the adventures of gnomes who are seeking their lost companion. The book meant a lot to me when I was a boy, and I still regard it with much fondness.

[/i]
Dale Nelson
Wardrobian

Postby westsands410 » March 26th, 2007, 8:35 pm

It's really nice to see some other people who have enjoyed Susan Cooper's series (I forget how many of the books there are).
westsands410
Wardrobian

Location: The beach, at Lat: 56° 22' 00" N Long: 2° 48' 30" W. Alternatively, Sussex.

Postby A#minor » March 26th, 2007, 9:57 pm

Last edited by A#minor on March 26th, 2007, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 26th, 2007, 10:12 pm

Anyone here ever seen the children's picture book (with some text -- about the length of "The Giving Tree") called "The White Marble" by Charlotte Zolotow? Absolutely enchanting, but hard to find. (there are apparently editions with two different illustrators. I can't speak for the other one, but the one by Deborah Kogan Ray (see cover illustration below) is the one I am familiar with and I can't say enough about it. It's magical!

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby westsands410 » March 26th, 2007, 10:53 pm

westsands410
Wardrobian

Location: The beach, at Lat: 56° 22' 00" N Long: 2° 48' 30" W. Alternatively, Sussex.

Postby A#minor » March 26th, 2007, 11:05 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 27th, 2007, 2:09 am

Triple the Watership Down And SR Donaldson's "Thomas Covenant" series recommendations- although the latter is also the most colorful and the most depressing!
My addition would be Lloyd Alexander's "The Chronicles of Prydain" - but you have to erase/eliminate Disney's abomination of a film from your heads. They make a great coming of age story that doesn't place the hero in the center of the universe, like Harry Potter, but rather throws him into the situations and has him deal with them and learn. The 5th and last book was a Newbury medal winner - "The High King" and reading that book with my son still has me feeling the thrills and chills, the lumps in my throat (The climax on the mountaintop is matched only by Tolkien's climactic 'eucatastrophe').
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » March 27th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Rusmeister,

Have you read the 1st book of the new Thomas Covenant trilogy yet? I have not, but I'm rereading through the previous trilogies, working my way up to it.

- Dan -

Postby rusmeister » March 27th, 2007, 4:41 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Re: Other Books of Enchantment

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2007, 2:19 pm

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2007, 2:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia