This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Pauline Baynes' Illustrations on view!!!!

Please don't close the door behind you.

Pauline Baynes' Illustrations on view!!!!

Postby carol » April 9th, 2007, 10:24 am

If you are keen on seeing original illustrations, you might like to drop into Narniaweb, where a collector has very kindly photographed the set of PC original illustrations that he recently acquired. There's even one with an alteration made after advice from Lewis.

Last edited by carol on April 10th, 2007, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » April 9th, 2007, 10:50 pm

Oooh, thanks for the link! :toothy-grin:

Um.. heh. heh. Your link is spelled correctly, but the title to this thread says, "Bayles." :thinking:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 10th, 2007, 10:00 am

Ooh, how embarrassing, when I am one of those people who are fanatical about proper spelling. I have fixed it now, and have added the apostrophe as well, although "Pauline Baynes" could have been seen as an adjective in the earlier version. Now it is a possessive. [thank you!]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 10th, 2007, 12:13 pm

I always liked her illustrations. Are there any books written about Baynes? The old Macmillan paperbacks of Narnia from the 1970's really cropped her illustrations and didn't do her justice. In my Harper Collins hard cover set they are complete but not in color. It would be nice to see some enlargements of the pictures.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 1:43 pm

The one Baynes illustration that I disliked was the one with Aslan talking to the White Witch. It's not in the paperback versions I have that have only one illustration at the beginning of each chapter, but it's in some other versions I've seen.

My reason for disliking it is that Aslan is walking on his hind legs, and I think his front paws were clasped behind his back. A little too anthropomorphic for me.

- Dan -

Postby A#minor » April 10th, 2007, 7:55 pm

I know the one you mean, Dan. Funny, that has always been one of my favorites for the very reason you mentioned! :lol: :wink:
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 10th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 10th, 2007, 8:30 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Baynesman » April 10th, 2007, 10:17 pm

Baynesman

Postby Sven » April 10th, 2007, 11:35 pm

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby nomad » April 13th, 2007, 11:44 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » April 16th, 2007, 5:49 pm

thanks for the link, those were great!
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » May 1st, 2007, 5:37 pm

Man, I would love to own those. I love her illustrations. I think she got better and better thoughout the series.

In fact, I think one of the reasons Puddleglum is my favorite character is this illustration:

(EDIT: My dumb MacBook won't let me post the link. But it's the picture from chapter 5 where he is fishing, and we see his back)

It fits Lewis' description perfectly!
Last edited by glumPuddle on May 2nd, 2007, 4:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 1st, 2007, 10:30 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 2nd, 2007, 12:53 am

As I had said in the other thread, it would have been great if a cartoon version of LWW had been made with Pauline Baynes animating her illustrations. But her artwork is only in the books, though it shows Narnia better than the 1979 cartoon of LWW.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia