This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

An interesting quote from Lewis

Please don't close the door behind you.

An interesting quote from Lewis

Postby Esther » April 9th, 2007, 7:06 pm

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Re: An interesting quote from Lewis

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 9th, 2007, 7:18 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » April 9th, 2007, 9:54 pm

I think it may be related to his horror of the collective, which he expresses in some of his apologetic works (as usual, I can't think of where exactly). He would prefer to think of people fighting as individuals for what they hold dear, rather than being caught up in a vast military machine, where they might not even know what they are fighting about.

Also, it may have been in his mind an example of the difference between the medieval age and the modern age.

The single combat in PC is probably his ideal battle.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

World War I

Postby Steve » April 10th, 2007, 7:11 am

Psalm 139:17 How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them!
Steve
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 10th, 2007, 10:06 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 10th, 2007, 4:57 pm

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 10th, 2007, 5:17 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » April 10th, 2007, 6:48 pm

Esther
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 12th, 2007, 2:11 am

An equally interesting quote by Lewis from LWW is Father Christmas's "Battles are ugly affairs..." with the part (deliberately) censored in the film.
(Hope it's not thread-jacking. It certainly is a Lewis Narnia quote about battles.)
If this already has a powerful thread dedicated to it I'd be glad if someone pointed me to it.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » April 13th, 2007, 11:39 pm

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. Zurui » August 7th, 2007, 9:52 pm

If Walden comes to the point of shooting The Last Battle, I wonder what they will make of, well, the eponymous last battle at the stable. Going strictly by the numbers, even by medieval standards I reckon this would be considered a skirmish, not much else.
If they do it according to the book, won't they think it's a bit of an anticlimax? (but then again, with the LotR movies fading away in distance, perhaps huge fantasy battles won't be the trendy thing anymore...)

Dr. Zurui
Dr. Zurui
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia