This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

New Covers

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Stanley Anderson » 15 May 2007, 20:15

Sven wrote:It was a loong time ago. There's a pretty good current thread with pics of most of the covers over on Narniaweb.

Boy, I knew Sven was the god of Lewis trivia (eg, if someone asked "Does anyone know where Lewis might have used the phrase seven images of Weight?", we have come to expect that within 20 minutes Sven would reply with a post saying, "See the second paragraph on page 84 of the essay "Imagery in Dante's Comedy" from Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature), but for him to actually inform carol about information from a thread in Narniaweb? This takes the cake (and you can tell it's not carol posting as Sven in disguise because there is no reference to Narniaweb as a "sister site":-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

All the Narnian Book Covers

Postby Reep » 19 May 2007, 00:12

Sven wrote: There's a pretty good current thread with pics of most of the covers over on Narniaweb.

Did you mean http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/forum_po ... CRN=0&PN=1 ? Thank you; just what I was looking for. More or less - since most of all I am still hoping to find the pictures of all the seven covers of the very first (1950-1956) British edition. (It would be so interesting to compare "what ultimately became of them" - could someone help?).

The thread you suggested also opens A WHOLE NEW WORLD. It gives the reference to the stunning collection of the NARNIA TRANSLATIONS by Glen GoodKnight - http://inklingsfocus.com/index.html - a list of all the editions in all the 43 languages that have appeared so far! Including their foreign titles, the years of their publication, and the names of all their translators and artists.

What a way to celebrate 51 years since The Last Chronicle appeared!
Further up and further in! -- The Last Battle
Reep
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 19 May 2007, 04:13

Stanley Anderson wrote:...but for him to actually inform carol about information from a thread in Narniaweb? This takes the cake (and you can tell it's not carol posting as Sven in disguise because there is no reference to Narniaweb as a "sister site":-)
--Stanley

Ah, I did fool you then? Now, who else can I try posting as? :toothy-grin: :thinking:
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 19 May 2007, 11:23

*mmph*

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

The Chronicles of Narnia 1950-2007

Postby Reep » 24 May 2007, 14:11

glumPuddle wrote:What do you all think of the new book covers, coming this July? I think this is the 4th time Jewel has been on the cover of LB.

Stanley Anderson wrote: sven wrote: There's a pretty good current thread with pics of most of the covers over on Narniaweb.
Boy, I knew Sven was the god of Lewis trivia (eg, if someone asked "Does anyone know where Lewis might have used the phrase seven images of Weight?", we have come to expect that within 20 minutes Sven would reply with a post saying, "See the second paragraph on page 84 of the essay "Imagery in Dante's Comedy" from Studies in Medieval and Renaissance Literature).

Does sven or anyone know where I could find the complete list of all the editions (and printings?) of The Chronicles of Narnia from 1950 until 2007?
Further up and further in! -- The Last Battle
Reep
Wardrobian

Re: The Chronicles of Narnia 1950-2007

Postby Stanley Anderson » 24 May 2007, 14:51

Reep wrote:Does sven or anyone know where I could find the complete list of all the editions (and printings?) of The Chronicles of Narnia from 1950 until 2007?

You might try Glen Goodknight at the link provided. We knew him years ago and I remember stopping at his place one time up in Los Angeles and seeing his amazing collection of the various editions (English and translations) of Tolkien works at the time -- and this was probably 25 years ago.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia