This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Need to know...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Need to know...

Postby burgert » May 2nd, 2007, 9:53 am

burgert

Postby A#minor » May 2nd, 2007, 1:56 pm

Can you give us the publisher's name and the year of publication?
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby loeee » May 10th, 2007, 7:58 pm

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Appology

Postby burgert » May 10th, 2007, 8:04 pm

burgert

Postby Sven » May 10th, 2007, 8:31 pm

ABE and Alibris have the MacMillian Collier set from the 70s and early 80s under ISBN 0-02-044280-7. Just to make sure we're not at cross-purposes here, is the following the set you have?

If not, give me two things. The volume title that you're missing, and the ISBN of two of the other volumes.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Eaxact!

Postby burgert » May 10th, 2007, 9:07 pm

Who is the illustrator, and I am missing "The Silver Chair". I need this as my step-son lost it, and why can this set not be found on the web? If it can, where do I look? Thanks again, Sven, and those involved!
burgert

Ilustrator

Postby burgert » May 10th, 2007, 9:37 pm

I am emphasising the illustrator because the ISBN only shows a few versions of the paperback in this year among well-known rare book dealers that show nothing of the pics shown above. It is nothing close to the art of Pauline Baynes, and I want to complete my old set one day, as well as know who did these covers that my siblings and I adored at a young age (8-12) while my father read the books to us beside a fire. They are more or less sentimental.
burgert

Postby Sven » May 10th, 2007, 11:21 pm

The cover illustrator is Roger Hane, an American artist and illustrator. Unfortunately, he was killed by a mugger in Central Park in 1974 at only the age of 36. Other than these Narnia books, he was best known for illustrating the book Bible Smuggler.

The ISBN of The Silver Chair you're looking for is 0-02-044250-5. You can find several copies for sale starting at $1.00 on ABE, The MacMillian Collier's are not particularly rare, the most valuable part of your set is actually the slipcase. Oh, they are the US edition, so they aren't exactly the same as the currently published versions of the Chronicles, which all follow the UK edition. Thus, in your copy, the White Witch's Wolf Captain is named Fenris Ulf instead of Maugrim, etc.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby loeee » May 11th, 2007, 12:20 am

"You can't go walking through Mordor in naught but your skin."
Put on the full armor of God.
loeee
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 11th, 2007, 2:44 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » May 12th, 2007, 5:13 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Pine_Tree » May 12th, 2007, 11:29 am

Pine_Tree
Wardrobian

Postby jo » May 12th, 2007, 12:41 pm

"I saw it begin,” said the Lord Digory. “I did not think I would live to see it die"

jo
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » May 12th, 2007, 3:22 pm

A#minor
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia