This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Dawn Treader movie synopsis

Please don't close the door behind you.

Dawn Treader movie synopsis

Postby glumPuddle » May 16th, 2007, 1:13 am

This summary of the VDT movie comes from a casting call:

STORY: In the enchanted land of Narnia, Edmund and Lucy join King Caspian on a sworn mission to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia. So begins a perilous new quest that takes them to the farthest edge of the Eastern world on board the mighty Dawn Treader. Sailing uncharted seas, the old friends must survive a terrible storm, encounters with sea serpents, dragons, and invisible enemies to reach lands where magicians weave mysterious spells and nightmares come true. They need every ounce of courage and the help of the great lion Aslan to triumph in their most hazardous adventure of all.

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=1173&dl=12533505

Now, if you analyze these things too closeley, you can end up jumping to bad conclusions. But, notice that it says encounters (plural) with sea serpants (plural). Is there more than one sea sea serpent in the movie? And do they encounter them more than once?

Other than that, sounds exactly like the book! And thankfully, there is no mention of Peter and Susan. Surprising that they don't mention Eustace though.
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Dunrobin » May 16th, 2007, 1:59 am

From the way that's worded, I imagine that the plurals were just a slip. (At least I hope so.) :toothy-grin:

The use of encounters as a plural is certainly valid, as it refers to more than just the sea serpent; there are also encounters with "dragons and invisible enemies" as well.

I was going to object the the plural dragons until I remembered that there is more than one dragon in the book. :blush:
Dunrobin
Wardrobian

Re: Dawn Treader movie synopsis

Postby carol » May 16th, 2007, 8:31 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 16th, 2007, 12:53 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » May 16th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 16th, 2007, 5:23 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 16th, 2007, 6:04 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » May 16th, 2007, 10:27 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Plurals

Postby mpj334 » July 5th, 2007, 3:28 pm

mpj334

Postby Danman » August 14th, 2007, 3:19 am

You know, it's nearly impossible for a movie to completely follow the book it was written from. On top of that, you have writers and producers who think they know what will make a better movie than the book. Shame on them.

At any rate, there were quite a few things missing from the LOTR movies, and some things not quite right in the LWW movie. But I still liked it. I just keep in mind it's not identical. It can't be. What I was most pleased with is that, in my opinion, they didn't stray from the real theme of the book... redemption - of Edmund, of Narnia, of the Kingship.

The other thing i'm pleased about is that FINALLY, I could see with my own eyes what, until then, my mind could only conjure. I Loved LWW and I look forward to PC. Yeah, so the guy they got for Caspian isn't what I'd exactly envision, but they didn't ask me. Oh well... I'll probably still enjoy it. Thanks!
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » August 31st, 2007, 6:50 am

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby carol » September 1st, 2007, 8:02 am

Personally I'd be happier if they met dwarfs, not dwarves. Gimli son of Gloin, anyone? Or perhaps a trip to Hobbit Island, where Bilbo and his cheerful band of 13 dwarves sing and dance about regaining their heritage of gold etc from the dragon.

"The King Beneath The Mountain" song has a different meaning in a Narnian context - it makes us think of Underland, and the Prince hidden there.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » September 1st, 2007, 10:00 pm

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby King Peter » September 2nd, 2007, 1:56 am

I believe that Carol's point is that in Narnia (and many other works of traditional fantasy) the plural of dwarf is dwarfs, while the plural form dwarves is more specific to Tolkien/LOTR.
"But if the Witch could have looked a little further back, into the stillness and the darkness before Time dawned, she would have read there a different incantation. She would have known that when a willing victim who has committed no treachery was killed in a traitor's stead, the Table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards." - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
King Peter
Wardrobian

Postby Ticket2theMoon » September 2nd, 2007, 4:16 am

It's supposed to be dwarfs in LOTR, isn't it? I definitely remember reading that he wrote it one way and the editors changed it to the other way and later editions have it the way he wrote it. Now I'm doubting myself as to which was which, though.

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia