This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Astronomy in Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Astronomy in Narnia

Postby texascat » May 30th, 2007, 5:41 pm

Does anyone recall instances when the topic of Astronomy occurs in the Chronicles? I know in PC that Doctor Cornelius shows Caspian that two stars are at their nearest. Also, in VDT, there is the character Ramandu, who was a star.

I am not interested in the zodiac, horoscopes, or esoteric stuff. I realize there is an astrological nature to the mention of stars in Narnia. From my viewpoint, I particularly love how the stars, who are created beings, are part of God grand design and ultimately point to Him.
texascat
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2007, 8:17 pm

The Centaur in LB speaks of the stars fortelling bad times for Narnia, and saying nothing about the coming of Aslan to Narnia.

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 30th, 2007, 8:28 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby texascat » May 30th, 2007, 8:37 pm

"Never judge a book by its movie." J.W. Eagan
texascat
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2007, 8:47 pm

I've wondered that myself, and thought that perhaps Rowling got the idea from Lewis and used it as an homage.

Postby texascat » May 30th, 2007, 8:53 pm

texascat
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 31st, 2007, 11:08 am

Ah yes, and not forgetting how she has been writing seven books, in homage of the seven Narnian Chronicles. :smile:

(oh, she is thinking of writing another one - college fund for her kids?)
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » May 31st, 2007, 12:50 pm

The eighth book she's talking about will be more of an encyclopedia of Harry rather than a new adventure. She's saying if she writes an 8th book the proceeds would go to charity. Somehow, I think J.K. has enough money to buy a college for her kids.

- Dan -

Postby Larry W. » June 1st, 2007, 9:33 am

According to A guide through Narnia by Martha C. Sammons there is a reference to the Spear-Head in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, the north star of Narnia, brighter than the pole star. The Leopard and the Ship, two constellations, are also mentioned in that book. I wonder if Narnia should have had a counterpart to Leo the Lion, a constellation named after Aslan and resembled the Lion.

I think Lewis would have seen horoscopes as nonsense. I don't think Aslan would have wanted anything to do with them. Narnia's good magicians would all have been servants of Aslan, not mere fortune tellers.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby texascat » June 6th, 2007, 3:29 am

texascat
Wardrobian

Postby Roonwit » June 21st, 2007, 3:39 pm

The moral of the story is not to listen to those who tell you not to play the violin but stick to the tambourine.
-- Jose Mourinho

Member of the 2456317 Club
Roonwit
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia