This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

first edition narnia series

Please don't close the door behind you.

first edition narnia series

Postby linslorr » 31 May 2007, 21:04

Hi,

I dont know if anyone will be able to help me with this, but i thought i'd give it a try. I am looking for copies of the Chronicles of Narnia series when it was first published from 1950-1956. I've already tried EBAY, but found nothing there. Also, I am looking for the first edition put out by Macmillan publishers. If anyone knows of any good websites, where I can look for these, please let me know...Id greatly appreciate it. thanks :grin:

lins :read:
linslorr

Postby Sven » 31 May 2007, 21:12

Welcome, Linslorr!

Probably the most reliable place online would be American Booksellers Exchange (ABE).
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby linslorr » 31 May 2007, 21:44

<center>thank you sven!
i checked it out...and sure enough there was one on there... but unfortunately i didn't realize itd be selling for $30k. i found another one for $14k...but still out of my price range.

one more question...
awhile back i came across a drawing where reepicheep and lucy were in a boat that was sailing through lilly pads from the vdt. i can't seem to find that picture anywhere anymore. i found one of just reep, but cant find the one w. lucy in it. have you seen that picture anywhere?
linslorr

Postby Sven » 31 May 2007, 22:25

I think I know the one you mean, Linslorr. There is a Baynes illustration in the last chapter of VDT that shows Reepicheep, Lucy, Eustace, and Edmund riding in the coracle away from the ship. I don't know of anywhere online you might find it.
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven
Wardrobian

Postby john » 31 May 2007, 22:28

linslorr wrote:one more question...
awhile back i came across a drawing where reepicheep and lucy were in a boat that was sailing through lilly pads from the vdt. i can't seem to find that picture anywhere anymore. i found one of just reep, but cant find the one w. lucy in it. have you seen that picture anywhere?

I know one of with Eustace, Lucy Edmund and Reepicheep...but not one of just Lucy and Reep. It's in the book itself.

Linslorr, welcome to the forums, but please note that HTML code does not work on these forums.

EDIT: Awwww...Sven beat me to it. :shocked:
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby john » 31 May 2007, 22:32

Here's somebody else's interpretation of the same scene:

[removed - see next post for image]
Last edited by john on 31 May 2007, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Sven » 31 May 2007, 22:34

I'm getting an Angelfire bandwidth protection image, John.

Edited to add:

Let me try it this way, via imgred:

Sven
Wardrobian

Postby john » 31 May 2007, 22:43

Sven wrote:Let me try it this way, via imgred:

Now, why didn't I think of that?? :thinking:
john (aka DrZeus)
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby linslorr » 01 Jun 2007, 00:46

amazing!! i believe that is it!!!
thank you so much. :)
linslorr

Postby carol » 01 Jun 2007, 06:54

Sven wrote:I think I know the one you mean, Linslorr. There is a Baynes illustration in the last chapter of VDT that shows Reepicheep, Lucy, Eustace, and Edmund riding in the coracle away from the ship. I don't know of anywhere online you might find it.

The only person who travels in the coracle is Reepicheep. The others are only in the dinghy/rowboat. The coracle travels with them, along with Reep, until they reach the place where he leaves them.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » 02 Jun 2007, 18:03

carol wrote:
Sven wrote:I think I know the one you mean, Linslorr. There is a Baynes illustration in the last chapter of VDT that shows Reepicheep, Lucy, Eustace, and Edmund riding in the coracle away from the ship. I don't know of anywhere online you might find it.

The only person who travels in the coracle is Reepicheep. The others are only in the dinghy/rowboat. The coracle travels with them, along with Reep, until they reach the place where he leaves them.

Yeah, that is why that artist put the lion head on the boat. It was one of the Dawn Treader's away boats.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 02 Jun 2007, 20:37

It's just that Sven (!of all people) said they were all in the coracle. I know a little bit about coracles, and how small they are.

I find that illustration a bit surprising, with the children looking remarkably mature for the ages they are meant to be (Edmund 12, Eustace 9, Lucy 10). It reminds me of when I read the Famous Five books as a young reader and thought the pictures of the lanky children looked like adults!
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » 04 Jun 2007, 16:15

And when the Pevensies were hanging out in Lucy's room at Eustace's house, do you think Edmund and Eustace were wearing neckties?

Postby carol » 04 Jun 2007, 20:32

They look like boys of 16 in high school uniforms, OR young city workers with fresh new degrees in management and finance!

Who is this illustrator? I will avoid his work.
carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia