This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Hints of a unique Christian perspective in Narnia books

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby carol » September 3rd, 2007, 10:09 am

carol
Wardrobian

Re: Hints of a unique Christian perspective in Narnia books

Postby KateGladstone » September 2nd, 2008, 8:21 pm

KateGladstone

Postby friendojack » October 13th, 2008, 2:35 am

friendojack

Postby rusmeister » October 17th, 2008, 2:34 am

I have a comment on "believing". It's REALLY important to make a distinction between profession of belief and actual belief. If we truly believe something, we act on it. If not, we don't. Like tha Apostle James said, "faith without works is dead". So it's kind of a red herring to talk about "God-believers" who actually do the opposite of what Christ commanded. They never really counted as believers in the first place.
FOJ: I would disagree that Lewis did not reveal at least some of his theology in his fiction (if that's what you're saying). But it is totally Orthodox to say that God saves whom He will. Paradoxically, though, while church membership does not save you, it is really important to seek out the actual Church that Christ really established.
The Gospel reference to the workers is right on!

On MM's earlier comment (on God's terms): I was a member of a secular men's group on the left coast that taught men how to be men (I was an indifferent and lazy agnostic at the time), and one of the principles (which wound up preparing me to accept Orthodoxy) was that your relationship with your father must be on your father's terms - that the son can't set the terms. I think this is a really profound truth you have hit on.
One of the things it impacts is the idea of "church-shopping", or searching for a faith that fits "what I like", or only accepting interpretations of Scripture that fit with how I think things ought to be... That's trying to have the relationship on our terms. In the true Church, there surely must be things that we don't like, and in accepting the authority of the Church (like the mother telling us what the father has to say), we are accepting it on God's terms, not our own.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » October 18th, 2008, 1:53 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on October 20th, 2008, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » October 18th, 2008, 2:23 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » October 18th, 2008, 4:45 am

Last edited by mitchellmckain on October 20th, 2008, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » October 18th, 2008, 9:48 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » October 18th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Last edited by mitchellmckain on October 20th, 2008, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » October 18th, 2008, 10:42 pm

I'll assume you are not putting Orthodoxy on a level with Mormonism or atheism. I certainly would not go so far with your choice of faith.

Actually, if a person accepts that there is a Church of Christ, by choice of faith, then historical evidence does carry weight - of course any church at all, even one founded yesterday by a teleevangelist, can claim to be the Church on the level you describe. A person can choose to believe the teleevangelist's claims. But he can choose to do so and ignore historical evidence.

Of course the authority of the Church comes from the living God, and your idea that "God abdicates His authority" is non-sequitur to Orthodox understanding and a straw man. On saying "God used them to speak" - this fails to take into account passages that are clearly not and cannot be God speaking - when it is decidedly a fallible human speaking. The question remains - on what basis do I accept this as canonical Scripture?
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » October 19th, 2008, 1:02 am

deleted and move to thread "Doctrine of the church" under "Religion, Science, and Philosophy".
Last edited by mitchellmckain on October 20th, 2008, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchellmckain

Postby rusmeister » October 19th, 2008, 6:34 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia