This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Disney Commitment

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby JRosemary » August 30th, 2007, 2:03 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 30th, 2007, 2:45 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 30th, 2007, 3:23 am

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 5:20 am

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 30th, 2007, 9:09 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

"But I digress"

Postby carol » August 30th, 2007, 9:34 am

This thread has certainly done its fair share of digressing, - from Disney to Plato. [or was that Pluto to Plato?]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 30th, 2007, 11:37 am

Last edited by JRosemary on August 30th, 2007, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 30th, 2007, 11:50 am

Last edited by JRosemary on August 30th, 2007, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 30th, 2007, 1:02 pm

What you say is entirely reasonable (Holy frijole, we are in agreement! :shocked: ) - the one thing I would qualify is that Eastern Christianity (Orthodoxy) is less aligned with Western thinkers like Plato and Aristotle than the Western (Roman) Church - at any rate there is decidely more room for Mystery, less of a need to fully understand and explain God and more leeway in things like the application of dogma.

Yes, Shaw was an absolutist, too. The link above is actually to Chesterton's work on Aquinas - which is a curious work because it deals with A's philosophy first and foremost, rather than being simply a biography. Chesterton also wrote a whole book on Shaw, which reveals the differences between the two men, and Chesterton both honors Shaw's amazing genius and reveals his glaring weaknesses:

It is relevant, because Shaw's philosophy had a profound effect on how our public schooling developed, and brought the struggle of the ancients into the modern era. Shaw was to Chesterton what Professor Moriarty was to Sherlock Holmes.

Actually, Carol, I suppose the digression was my fault - I find Disney's censorship of an important comment by Lewis on modern practice to be offensive - as both JR and I said (and people like Stanley have articulated loudly and clearly in the past regarding screen adaptations), an author should not be misrepresented for the sake of placating certain people. It's clearly a moral vs money question. I know I'd be burned if I had written something and saw it censored like that and you all probably would be, too.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » August 30th, 2007, 1:05 pm

"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 30th, 2007, 2:08 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 30th, 2007, 2:14 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 30th, 2007, 3:58 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » August 30th, 2007, 4:13 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » August 30th, 2007, 7:11 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia