This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Disney Commitment

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2007, 4:28 pm

He does have right of refusal on scripts. However, I believe that there has been pressure to compromise on "nonessentials".

- Dan -

Postby Esther » August 16th, 2007, 4:41 pm

What exactly does "right of refusal" mean in this context? Does it mean he can reject any element of the script or production? Does anyone know why/how it is that he has this right? I'm just curious. Is it simply because of his close association with Lewis, or does he actually have some ownership of the stories themselves?
Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 16th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Right of refusal basically means he can reject a script and ask them to rewrite it. I don't believe he has a "line item veto" on the script, but it must meet with his approval.

The Gresham's sold the rights to Lewis's works to C.S. Lewis Pte. Ltd (located in Singapore I believe) in the late 60s I think, but Douglas Gresham works for them. It is in that capacity I suppose that he has been given that "right of refusal".

- Dan -

Postby Paul F. Ford » August 16th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » August 16th, 2007, 8:04 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 16th, 2007, 11:41 pm

mitchellmckain

Postby Dooby » August 17th, 2007, 2:34 am

For Ballet Shoes/Noel Streatfeild fans :)
Dooby
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2007, 12:51 pm

Postby Danman » August 17th, 2007, 1:45 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby john » August 17th, 2007, 2:22 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2007, 3:16 pm

I agree (although I wasn't crazy about Stewart's reading of The Last Battle). No film can live up to books we hold so dear. We may disagree with the choices Gresham and Adamson make in their interpretation of the first 2 books, but they are both lovers of the books. I think we've got to be careful not to expect an exact representation of our own personal interpretation, but rather a retelling of a great story that opens the world of Narnia to a new generation. The books spent months on the NY Times best sellers list with the release of the first movie (actually dating back to the release of the first trailer).

- Dan -

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 17th, 2007, 6:33 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » August 17th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 17th, 2007, 9:15 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » August 17th, 2007, 10:36 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia