This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Two manuscripts at a time

Please don't close the door behind you.

Two manuscripts at a time

Postby maryhuebner » August 19th, 2007, 1:44 pm

According to a quote from Madeleine L'Engle found in Madeleine L'Engle Herself, C.S. Lewis was noted to work on two books at a time, one fictional and one theological in genre. Does anyone know which theological manuscript he was working on at the same time as Prince Caspian? I have looked at several bibliographies of his works, however publishing dates are not necessarily indicative of when he was actually writing the manuscript.

Thank you for your help,
Mary Huebner
maryhuebner

Postby Sven » August 19th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Welcome, Mary!

According to Paul Ford in his Companion to Narnia, Lewis wrote Prince Caspian during the summer and fall of 1949. At that time, he wasn't working on any of his apologetics works, but was working on his academic masterpiece, English Literature in the Sixteenth Century Excluding Drama. Mere Christianity was published shortly after Prince Caspian, but it was nearly all written during World War 2, as he was giving the radio addresses that it adapts.

Hope this helps.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby carol » August 20th, 2007, 11:22 am

So it was "PC" and "OHEL" ? Hmm, funny how both those abbeviations mean something else! :lol:
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » August 20th, 2007, 6:56 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Re: Two manuscripts at a time

Postby Paul F. Ford » August 25th, 2007, 3:29 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby Scott West » August 28th, 2007, 2:41 pm

Scott West
Wardrobian

Postby Sven » August 28th, 2007, 7:38 pm

PC can be Prince Caspian or Politically Correct.

OHEL can be the Oxford History of English Literature series or "Oh Hell!" (The pun Lewis often used to refer to his entry in the series.)
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Postby Scott West » August 29th, 2007, 2:09 am

Scott West
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia