This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

"There's something missing."

Please don't close the door behind you.

"There's something missing."

Postby glumPuddle » August 20th, 2007, 5:01 am

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 20th, 2007, 11:19 am

Guillermo wasn't actually offered the film. He may have been considered, but if a director wants to remove a major event from a story, he doesn't get offered the work.

Glumpuddle, do you plan on opening identical threads here for every one you start on Narniaweb?

The only thing that I found missing, apart from a word-for-word Lewisian dialogue, was the fact that the book required me to imagine all the pictures myself, and the film gave them to me as Andrew and team imagined them.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 20th, 2007, 1:11 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: "There's something missing."

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 20th, 2007, 1:46 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Re: "There's something missing."

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 20th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » August 20th, 2007, 6:52 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 20th, 2007, 8:07 pm

Last edited by carol on August 20th, 2007, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby john » August 20th, 2007, 8:14 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 20th, 2007, 8:19 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 20th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 21st, 2007, 10:00 am

I had not heard of Mr Guillermo until a few months ago when a rumour reached my eyes that he had "turned down" directing the film.
By then, the film of LWW, its Extended Edition, and a huge amount of media and online journalism was a fait accompli... to box office success and popular acclaim if not literary/academic.
I am aware that some material in the final version was the result of discussions on aspects of its Deep Meaning, but again, I did not hear of this until after the film was released.

It is a difficult challenge to reply to, Stanley. Who knows "what would have happened"?
Perhaps, had Mr Guillermo been offered the work, undertaken it [creating something rather darker than what we have seen], and had issues regarding the return to life via Deeper Magic, the same discussions might have been held to encourage him to understand and include this scene? Could he have then upheld respect for others' beliefs, embraced the true meaning of Sacrifice by an innocent party, and presented the range of feeling in that whole sequence, when its underlying theme was something he had turned away from? Would he have felt too much of a hypocrite to do justice to it?
We are never told What Would Have Happened.

Which is better, an agnostic with respect for the story behind the story or someone who has rejected believing in such things? It would not have been fair to ask the latter person to create this scene, in spite of his having the ability and experience to do so.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 21st, 2007, 3:38 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 21st, 2007, 8:13 pm

All I can conclude is that if major details like that were not discussed in the earlier stages, I am glad that it was resolved well before filming it.

If another director had similar issues or problems with something comparable [not that there IS anything like the Resurrection, which mirrors the crucial event of history!], then I hope it would be addressed with similar urgency.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » August 21st, 2007, 8:58 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby mitchellmckain » August 22nd, 2007, 3:54 am

mitchellmckain

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia