This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Religion controverys In Narnia and other fantasy novels

Please don't close the door behind you.

Religion controverys In Narnia and other fantasy novels

Postby Taya328 » October 2nd, 2007, 8:47 am

Taya328

Postby carol » October 2nd, 2007, 9:03 am

Hi Taya! Welcome into the Wardrobe!

Have you taken a look at the menu at the top of the page here? (You've found the best Lewis site on the Internet, by the way - congratulations)

Try the "papers" section, "works" (scroll down to the Secondary works, i.e. not written by Lewis) and have a dip into each of the sections - it may give you some great thoughts, even if it doesn't exactly answer your questions.

As for the HP books, some people see religious significance in them, but I don't. Anyone with imagination can find some religious themes or parallels in literature or films.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 2nd, 2007, 12:38 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 4th, 2007, 12:55 am

I actually haven't read many books on this, though plenty have been written.

The ones I have read seem, as you say, are pretty basic. "Aslan is kinda like Jesus" stuff.

I wouldn't reccomend "Finding God in the Land of Narnia." Seems to me that he tries too hard to avoid the obvious, and goes too far with it.
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 4th, 2007, 6:45 pm

Taya - have you included Lord of the Rings in your list of fantasy books with Christian/religious themes?
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Solomons Song » October 5th, 2007, 2:07 am

There are various and sundry resources available to expound the hidden meanings in the books. But trust me, it is oodles and oodles more fun digging them out on your own.
Member of the "2453617 Club"
Solomons Song
Wardrobian

Great Tolkien study by Tom Shippey

Postby Dr. U » October 5th, 2007, 2:09 am

Tom Shippey, who followed JRR Tolkien at Oxford, and speaks some of the same diverse and mostly forgotten languages he did, has a great book for the serious Tolkien fan, The Road to Middle Earth. Among other things, he does a very good job exploring Tolkien's Christian themes within LOTR (and other works). It's particularly masterful how Tolkien wrote certain Christian paradoxes or mysteries into the universe of Middle Earth, as Shippey illustrates well.

Tolkien also had a well-developed theory of what he called the eucatastrophe in myth and fantasy stories - the miraculous turn of events at the darkest moment. He believed that this was something like a subconscious echoing of the victory of Jesus' Resurrection in real history. Tolkien's exposition of this idea to Lewis played a part in Lewis' conversion process from atheism to a type of theism to faith in Christ, as he describes in Surprised by Joy.
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 17th, 2007, 1:44 am

Nothing wrong with finding Christian themes in The Lord of the Rings. Just keep in mind what Tolkien himself wrote in the forward...

"As for any inner meaning or 'message', it has in the intention of the author none. It is neither allegorial nor topical ... I cordially dislike allegory in all of its manifestations, and have always done so since I grew old and weary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory' but one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author."
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Dr. U » October 17th, 2007, 11:24 am

No, you're quite right. I didn't mean Christian truths within LOTR as an allegory, but at a deeper level, built into the universe in which LOTR takes place. That is, Middle Earth reflects Tolkien's worldview, which is Biblical theism. But you're correct, it's not like Pilgrim's Progress, where each character and event is meant to represent something 1:1 in the life of a Christian.
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Postby Wordlark » October 17th, 2007, 3:57 pm

Another book on the subject besides Shippey's book is "The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-Earth" by Ralph Wood.

I enjoy both books, though Wood's delves deeper than Shippey into the Christian themes.

Here is the amazon URL:

So Many books, so little time!
Wordlark
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia