This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Prince Caspian movie: The Issues

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Pete » February 5th, 2008, 1:21 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » February 6th, 2008, 4:31 am

Sophie Wilcox isn't bad as Lucy, but I think she's a bit annoying at times. Georgie Henley is more appealing in the role, but Andrew Adamson isn't too accurate to the books in his scripts. So will Lucy be better in the new Prince Caspian? Yes, if the movie is closer to the book than the first one.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 6th, 2008, 9:13 pm

Whining is what a child does in an annoying voice when they are not getting their own way - it is very nasal and deliberate. I associate whining with sulking.... it's the kid who sits around or hangs around their mother, moaning and wailing gently.

What Lucy does is to stand up to the others, assert herself somewhat angrily.

She's not using a whining voice, but is disagreeing in a proper voice.
She's not sitting in a corner, sulking and saying "I did see Aslan and you are all just mean...it's not fair...."
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » February 7th, 2008, 3:41 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby LordRhoop » February 7th, 2008, 5:23 am

These books are all around 200 pages in length, I'm just not sure I understand why things need to be cut or added in...that just seems like the perfect book length to translate into a regular length (un-butured) feature film...

I think it is selfish for the filmaker of a series such as this one, which is so dear to so many people spanning multiple generations, to only make his interpretation with little to no regard for the other people who love the story. He is given this opportunity that should come with the mantle of creating a classic interpretation that encompasses as closely as possible the story that C.S. Lewis was trying to tell.

that being said, this night raid thing does not sit well with me.
LordRhoop

Postby Larry W. » February 7th, 2008, 11:08 am

I certainly agree. In order to adapt the book into a film it would seem not much more is needed than to shorten the story a little. For the most part the BBC didn't change much in the other books, but they did cut Prince Caspian too much. The Narnia books are not very long, so why not leave the story intact as much as possible? And why was it necessary in Adamson's film of LWW to give the fox an extended role?

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 7th, 2008, 2:30 pm

I, of course, will watch and (and I expect to enjoy very much) the movie. But I still can't say I approve of all the changes. Caspian, though a dashing enough young man, does not in any way fit the description of Caspian in the books--age notwithstanding, he does not look or feel like Caspian to me. The flirtation with Susan (let's hope it goes no further than that!) is completely unfounded and gratuitous. I cannot accept that they are bringing the Minotaurs back--and as allies to the Old Narnians. They are a part of the very "sort" illustrated by the scene in the book with the hag and the werewolf. Though in all fairness, I do not recall any minotaurs in the book-form of LWW--so perhaps that one could be forgiven. In all I expect it to be a great adventure and a fun movie--but from the Narnia fan side, I have no doubt I will be disappointed.

I agree, for a book (series) with a long tradition and following, Adamson should consider the story as written to be a powerful plot and try not to imbellish it too much. There's a reason so many have come to love it--it's just fine without these extras. Jack was, after all, a pioneer and genius of his time.
"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » February 15th, 2008, 4:12 pm

I have heard that there is a goodbye kiss between Caspian and Susan in the film. I can just imagine the uproar of the purists.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby carol » February 17th, 2008, 12:27 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pfifltrigg » February 17th, 2008, 9:01 am

It's strange that they match Caspian with Susan. I've always seen more between Caspian and Lucy, but there's obviously nothing there either. It's pretty obvious Lewis doesn't think much of romance.

Strangely enough, one of the things that bothered me most when watching the preview was that everyone refers to him as "Prince Caspian" and he even calls himself "Prince Caspian," while, despite the title of the book, Caspian is always called "king" in the book.
Pfifltrigg

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » February 17th, 2008, 4:15 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » February 18th, 2008, 3:18 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby galion » February 18th, 2008, 6:35 pm

galion
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » February 19th, 2008, 2:50 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » February 24th, 2008, 10:02 pm

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle