This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

What's In a Name?

Please don't close the door behind you.

What's In a Name?

Postby Ticket2theMoon » October 4th, 2007, 5:22 am

Last edited by Ticket2theMoon on October 5th, 2007, 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 4th, 2007, 4:48 pm

Obviously, Puddleglum - he lives in a marsh and he is glum.

The squirrel Pattertwig - you can just hear his paws pattering through the trees when you see his name.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » October 4th, 2007, 7:35 pm

Glenstorm and Roonwit the centaurs.

Glenstorm... sounds big, expansive, and dangerous.

Roonwit.... sounds like rune, ancient writings. And 'wit', like, well, wit. Someone that is savvy in ancient letters (writings), as centaurs are. Somehow, his name also puts me in a mind of the word "root", things dug up from plants. I suppose that, in addition to being seers, centaurs could also have been healers and would therefore have a good knowledge of herbs medicinal.

Of course, Glimfeather, the owl. Glim, sounds like grim or glum. Both would describe his, and the other owls' personalities.
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » October 4th, 2007, 11:09 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Fenris Ulf ("Wolf")

Postby Dr. U » October 5th, 2007, 1:55 am

That's fascinating, I had no idea that there was a different name for the wolf in Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe in the European version!

"Fenris" comes directly from Norse mythology, of which Lewis was a serious fan as a teenager, as he tells in Surprised by Joy. Fenris was a gigantic wolf that was one of the monsters of chaos that would ultimately conquer and devour Asgard, the home of the Norse gods, at the end of time for the gods: the best a Viking could hope for in the scope of eternity was to be part of those brave warriors fighting their last battle against the ultimate triumph of evil when that time came. So the name was very appropriate for the name of the White Witch's chief of secret police, it immediately conveys a sense of his menace (if you've read Norse mythology at some point I suppose).

However, come to think of it, it is unusual for Lewis to use a name from other sources directly like that, rather than use his own made-up names that have roots and sounds that convey a meaning - like Maugrim. J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books are almost an encyclopedia of arcane names from mythology and alchemy, but I can't think of any other examples of names like "Fenris Ulf" from any of Lewis' books.

I wonder why they changed the name between the editions on opposite sides of the Atlantic?
Dr. U
Wardrobian

Re: Fenris Ulf ("Wolf")

Postby Ticket2theMoon » October 5th, 2007, 2:09 am

===========================================================================================

It is with words as with sunbeams, the more they are condensed, the deeper they burn. --Robert Southey (1774-1843)

Ticket2theMoon
Wardrobian

Re: Fenris Ulf ("Wolf")

Postby Dan65802 » October 9th, 2007, 5:19 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 11th, 2007, 9:52 am

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Wordlark » October 11th, 2007, 1:48 pm

Jadis-Jaded
Wordlark
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia