This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Why is Uncle Andrew so popular?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Why is Uncle Andrew so popular?

Postby glumPuddle » October 10th, 2007, 8:57 pm

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » October 11th, 2007, 3:06 am

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 11th, 2007, 8:30 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » October 11th, 2007, 9:44 am

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » October 11th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Maybe because he is human, rather than being an obvious whiter than white hero or powerful evil villain as much of the characters are - he is a flawed human and the more believable for it - rather like Edmund or Eustace.
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Wordlark » October 11th, 2007, 1:44 pm

I think where the sympathy and comedy comes into play with Uncle Andrew, is in the Animals reaction to him. They don't even recognize him as human, (a son of Adam) and have a discussion on what exactly he is. In the end they plant him, water him, cage him, and throw food at him, all in an attempt to take care of him. They realize that he is a living thing, but because he is so far removed from what a True Human (son of Adam) should be, he is so jaded (LOL…hence his infatuation with Jadis…I love the play on words), that they in their innocent beginnings fail to see him as such. It is a tragic comedy, but by the end of the story Uncle Andrew is redeemed somewhat, he is a changed man so to speak, and never dabbles in magic again, but is still fascinated with Jadis. Uncle Andrew is a reflection of mankind…a paradox.
Wordlark
Wardrobian

Re: Why is Uncle Andrew so popular?

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 11th, 2007, 2:26 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 11th, 2007, 8:16 pm

I find a fascinating promise in Uncle Andrew in the development of Digory later in TLWW. It is Digory who challenges the "logic" of Peter and Susan as they try to discern what is going on with Lucy. The vindication of Uncle Andrew, I would submit, comes in the logic and wisdom of Digory as an adult. At least, I hope that we can influence future generations by our own failures, foibles, and successes. If there can be a line of purpose of ultimate good that can come from the human frailty of Andrew; then may we all produce Digorys.
"When you get to a fork in the road . . .
Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » October 11th, 2007, 9:28 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Re: Why is Uncle Andrew so popular?

Postby carol » October 12th, 2007, 10:22 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 14th, 2007, 12:47 am

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 14th, 2007, 2:34 am

You hang out with different people, and at a different time from me. I don't hate poor pathetic Andrew Ketterley, but I don't especially like him either. I certainly won't be one of his fangurls :lol: .

Hmm, maybe you could ask this question when people say they are looking forward to seeing him? Perhaps it's just the fascinating characterisation, and the casting possibilities? (although I reckon Bill Nighey is a shoe-in).
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » October 15th, 2007, 5:29 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » October 15th, 2007, 5:33 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 16th, 2007, 6:35 am

Sorry, much rather not have an Uncle Andrew who I expect to turn up in fishnets!!! :rolleyes:
carol
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia