This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan and Eternity?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 26th, 2007, 8:50 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » October 26th, 2007, 8:55 pm

One of the things I like about that passage is that Moses (in a way) finally makes it to the Promised Land.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 26th, 2007, 9:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 26th, 2007, 9:16 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 26th, 2007, 9:26 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 26th, 2007, 9:49 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 27th, 2007, 3:22 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 28th, 2007, 3:20 am

"When you get to a fork in the road . . .
Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 28th, 2007, 6:01 am

It depends on God - drawing that person to Him, through the prompting of the Holy Spirit; it depends on that person, making a new response of repentance and trust; and it depends on those of us who are friends, family or acquaintances of that person, as we pray for them, talk to them, and show practical Christian love (and consistency in our Christian lives).

[hopes this thread will not go into a discussion of preordination]
carol
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 28th, 2007, 9:03 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 30th, 2007, 2:26 pm

Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 31st, 2007, 2:49 am

As to the first, I don't care. I'm not pushing the subject - just not talking about something is a good way to kill it. I've nothing to add to that particular topic.

I think you may not see a connection because of your theology. 'My' (Orthodox) theology makes a very definite connection. From that standpoint, it is not necessarily 'game over' yet and things like prayers for mercy and repose of souls to God and asking saints to pray for us (as something permitted/made possible by God) become possible. Hope that helps explain why this concept was brought up.

As to the latter, it's good to know what people we have been taught to lionize in any field - the arts, politics, or whatever - believed, as that's the prism through which they viewed life, and their works reflect what they believed.

My own experience that led me to realize that - I got my BA and MA in Russian lang. and lit., and was taught all of the 'great' writers. It wasn't until I came (back) to faith and began examining what they believed from a perspective of maturity and faith that I realized that a lot of what I was taught was 'great' was either simply wrong, or just plain drivel. In Shaw's case, he was a genius - a genius who was sincerely wrong.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » October 31st, 2007, 1:20 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 31st, 2007, 2:00 pm

Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby galion » October 31st, 2007, 11:54 pm

Not sure about the sincerely - Shaw was above all things a self-promoter. Some things he did get right, mainly in Prefaces and especially in his music criticism, if you ignore his dismissal of Schubert and Brahms, of which he repented in later life. But yes, he did get an awful lot of things wrong. He was one of those who was taken on a tour of Potemkin villages in the Soviet Union in the 1930s, without deigning to notice that the papers were on a day-to-day basis full of denunciations of "enemies of the people" (i.e. sincere party members that the Great Leader, or the local bosses, wanted to get rid of). Also, so much of his writing was paradox-mongering - a fault, I regret to say, that he shared with GKC. But others can probably fill out the picture further.
galion
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia