This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan and Eternity?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Susan and Eternity?

Postby andy » October 11th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Did Susan loose Narnia for eternity? As TLWW ended, there is the pronouncement from Aslan "Once a king or queen in Narnia - always a king or queen in Narnia". In the LB we are told that Susan was no longer a "frined of Narnia". Where did Susan spend eternity? :??:
"When you get to a fork in the road . . .
Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Re: Susan and Eternity?

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 11th, 2007, 9:16 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » October 11th, 2007, 9:25 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 12th, 2007, 4:12 am

Many fans seem to have a problem with Susan's fate, but I can't imagine the ending without it. It makes perfect sense.

They had BETTER not change it in the LB movie! That's one of the things that would cause me to boycott Walden Media.
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 12th, 2007, 12:45 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » October 12th, 2007, 6:45 pm

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 13th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » October 13th, 2007, 8:47 pm

"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » October 13th, 2007, 9:12 pm

Here's a couple of links to some of me forum entries...

And finally the main batch

be careful not to fall into the trap of thinking that further use of the rings means travelling back to Narnia... for some reason that occasionally crops in. WHen I suggest that SUsan (one way or another) uses the rings to travel to another world, someone at some point perks up with "But she can't, Narnia was destroyed" or such like.

And remember.. these are just sort of thought experiments.. trying to fit an incomplete jigsaw together.. trying to explain away "apparent" contradictions or absencess of facts.

Hope you enjoy them
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » October 14th, 2007, 1:54 am

My feeling is that we don't know for sure what Susan's fate was. It does seem an inconsistency to say "Once a king or queen in Narnia, always a king or queen" and have her lost forever. So Aslan would have known the character of the kings and queens he chose and he could not have made a mistake in going against the "once a king or queen" policy. That doesn't mean it was impossible for royalty to stray, but it is a promise to protect their destiny. I think it is likely that Susan was saved in the end, although I don't know for certain.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 14th, 2007, 2:38 am

Nobody is lost except by choice. She had the right to choose for the rest of her life. And if Lewis hadn't included this choice being made by one of the children, he would have been dishonest, since this is common. And sadly, for teenage girls, being more attracted by physical appearance, social whirl, etc, is one of the big culprits. This is the bit some of Lewis' critics misunderstand; it is not that the growing up, the makeup, or the social whirl are in any way wrong, but that choosing to focus on them instead of the One you are following in your life will eventually lead you away from Him.

Here endeth the lecture.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » October 14th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby andy » October 16th, 2007, 1:32 am

On the contrary, they seemed to go out of their way in LWW to reinforce the idea that Susan will eventually slide from Narnia -- even perhaps a bit heavy handed for those "in the know" like us fans, I thought. But for newcomers perhaps it is well considered to prepare them since it is so distressing for many when they finally read of it in at the end of the last book? Not sure.

--Stanley[/quote]

I am not convinced that the evidence demonstrates the fact that Susan was to lose the relationship with Narnia. Admittedly, Susan was the more "practical/logical" one of the children. She dismissed much of the Narnia prophesy and even the evidence of her own eyes and ears. However, Susan (along with Lucy) accompanied Aslan to the Stone Table. Susan watched the killing of Aslan and Susan was eye-witness to Aslan's return to life. I think that Susan is the "C. S. Lewis" personality in this book. She had doubts that tended to lend themselves to dismissal of spiritual realities; yet those doubts were categorically disproved. She was an "atheist" turned believer. I saw the narrative as being one that allowed Susan to be transformed into the ultimate potential Susan she was born to be. Because I believe that, I ask the question that started the thread.
"When you get to a fork in the road . . .
Take it" - Yogi Berra
andy
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 19th, 2007, 12:02 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » October 19th, 2007, 12:05 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia