This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan and Eternity?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby splashen » June 1st, 2008, 7:10 pm

splashen
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 1st, 2008, 8:27 pm

Sorry, I just don't see how it's "quite possible," outside of the bare assertion. What exactly is the argument that Lewis intended to write another story about Susan. Couldn't I make the same argument about the future Pendragon to come about from the events of That Hideous Strength? A loose end does not an intended sequel make.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby moogdroog » June 1st, 2008, 10:00 pm

moogdroog
Wardrobian

Postby splashen » June 1st, 2008, 11:46 pm

splashen
Wardrobian

Postby splashen » June 1st, 2008, 11:49 pm

splashen
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » June 2nd, 2008, 1:57 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby splashen » June 2nd, 2008, 2:32 am

I don't think Lewis really wanted an eighth book. The Last Battle suggests completion since it is number seven, and Narnia comes to an end in the book. Aslan shuts the door, and it's all over with. What happened to Susan outside of Narnia when she is older doesn't concern Narnian history that much because she is outside the time frame. There was no need to go on with another story after Narnia ended. The Last Battle is like the book of Revelation in the Bible in being a conclusion to all that preceded it. We aren't told what happened to every character in Scripture either, e. g. we don't know for certain if Solomon was saved. We are only told what we need to know for salvation. The rest is God's business-- not ours.

Larry W.[/quote]

That is why I said that he may have intended to write **POST** Narnia story. I base this belief on the fact that he had apparently written to fans that the reason he left Susan out was because "Susan's story wasn't finished yet." Thing is, Susan only exists within the realms of fiction. So, the only way such a statement such as "Susan's story isn't finished yet," is if Lewis intended to one day write a post-Narnia story about Susan. Incidently, in LB, the only friends from Narnia that even do return to Narnia are Jill & Eustace. When Peter, Edmund, Lucy, Polly & Professor Digory are there in the end, they are in Aslan's Country, which has no end.
splashen
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 2nd, 2008, 3:31 am

Again, Lewis uses the phrase about somebody's story to mean their life, and I don't see how using that about Susan means he meant to write another book or story, Narnian or not. What Susan's being a fictional character can have to do with it I've no idea, I'm afraid.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » June 2nd, 2008, 10:04 am

As far as I know no scholars have ever suggested that Lewis planned a post Narnia book. There was no one in his family or connected with his estate that knew of any plans for such a book, and Lewis himself never actually was quote or implied that he intended to write one. He never really said, "I wanted to tell you more about Susan, but I never got around to writing another book." It was more like he was saying, "Her situation is kind of sad but there still is hope. However, I am not going to say anything more about her since it is her story and a private affair between Aslan and her." Most of us posting on this forum are amateurs (including myself). But, as far as I know, all of the professional scholars of Lewis have taken that position about Susan. They conclude that Lewis didn't want to say anything more about her even though we do not know for certain what really happened to her. Therefore, I don't think we should speculate on books that Lewis could have written about Susan when there is no clear evidence that he was planning any more.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 2nd, 2008, 2:51 pm

I think we're asking the wrong question. Lewis definitely left a loose end in the story regarding Susan. He seems to have done this with purpose and forethought. I agree that the idea of a "sequel" about Susan is fallacious, therefore I think the question that deserves discussion is what was Lewis's purpose for leaving Susan out of Narnia and out of faith at the end of the series?

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 2nd, 2008, 3:40 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 2nd, 2008, 3:48 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 2nd, 2008, 4:13 pm

Free will is certainly a theme throughout the Narnian books (as well as the LOTR trilogy). But I think another thing Lewis was trying to give the reader (and this relates to what JRosemary wrote) was a warning. Lewis had problems with people who "outgrew" fairytales. The bigger danger is outgrowing the truth in the tales. Perhaps this is the warning Lewis is giving his readers.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » June 2nd, 2008, 4:19 pm

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 2nd, 2008, 4:34 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia