This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia on a different planet?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Narnia on a different planet?

Postby Jeffrywith1e » November 29th, 2007, 4:43 pm

When I was a kid I always imagined Narnia to be in a different dimension. But now I've come to the opinion that Narnia was on a different planet. I come to this conclusion mostly from my adoration of Lewis' Space Trilogy and I suspect this line of thinking is where he was coming from when the idea of Narnia was coming to be.

On the other hand, this would also make it possible for people to travel to Narnia by their own means. And that thought kind of goes against the spirit of the setting.

What's your opinion about this?
Jeffrywith1e

Postby repectabiggle » November 29th, 2007, 4:50 pm

In The Magician's Nephew, Digory and company reach Narnia via the "Wood Between the Worlds." Narnia, then (or more properly, the world that contains the country of Narnia), is a completely different world (nature, if you like, as Lewis may have called it given some of his statements in Miracles) from that which contains Earth.
Last edited by repectabiggle on November 29th, 2007, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » November 29th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Well, doesn't Uncle Andrew say in MN that all the stars and planets etc are contained within our world, by which he meant our reality or our universe, and that therefore the other worlds would be other realities, or universes?
robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 29th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Narnia and Charn are in different "realities".

The geographical differences in the layout of Narnia alone demonstrates this.

The "rules" by which things happen are different, although may have similar effects.

The "Earth" in CON can be thought of as a "reality" that is close to our "page" in the "book"

The "Earth" in "TST" is also close to our own.

Narnia would be in a totally different part of the book.

well.. thats one way to look at it :toothy-grin: :read: :coffee:
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » November 30th, 2007, 5:42 pm

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » November 30th, 2007, 5:45 pm

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » November 30th, 2007, 9:02 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Jeffrywith1e » December 7th, 2007, 3:14 am

Jeffrywith1e

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » December 7th, 2007, 1:58 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 7th, 2007, 2:00 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 7th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Aren't the stars all called back at the end of the Last Battle as well as called into existance in Magicians Nephew? That would also be a pretty strong argument for the Narnian "planet" existing in a different dimension/reality than the Earth of the books.

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » December 7th, 2007, 8:00 pm

Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » December 7th, 2007, 8:19 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 7th, 2007, 8:22 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Peepiceek » December 7th, 2007, 8:40 pm

The flat world theory comes only from Caspian right? Except for the fact that he mentions it in front of Aslan in TSC and Aslan doesn't contradict him, but other than that... All due respect to His Majesty but isn't it entirely possible since no one has tried circumnavigating the world before that Caspian doesn't necessarily know what he's on about? Just ask King Ferdinand circa 1490 whether our world is flat or round. Also I think the planet may also be called Earth because of what Aslan called the dwarfs. It always confused me that in MN Aslan created the whole world and called it Narnia yet later we learn Narnia is just a country in an unnamed world.
Peepiceek
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia