This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Planet Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Planet Narnia

Postby matdonna » December 12th, 2007, 9:51 pm

Wow, this looks really cool...haven't had time to read the site carefully yet, anyone else had a look yet?
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » December 13th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Yes. I will not get into the details of the thesis, but I was in attendance at Wheaton a few years back where Dr Ward spoke on his view concerning Narnia and medieval cosmology. I will ask that this be posted on the events section when all plans are finalized, but until then if you are in the Frederick, MD area we will be hosting a book tour stop for Michael Ward on Thursday, February 21st. Check his website for his entire tour. Dates are still being added. Contact him and arrange a stop in your neighborhood!
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » December 13th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Well, the book was supposed to be released on Amazon.com yesterday, and I was supposed to have received my copy tomorrow, but now Amazon.com tells me I won't receive my copy until next Wednesday. The question is whether the delay has to do with the publishing or whether it's on Amazon.com's side.

Either way, I'm rather dissappointed—this was going to be a great reading weekend. :undecided:

Update: Now Amazon.com is telling me I won't have the book till Christmas Eve. Well, the only good thing here is that I have that entire week off, so I'll have more time to read than I would have if I'd gotten it tomorrow. All the same. . .
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » January 2nd, 2008, 3:49 pm

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » January 2nd, 2008, 4:56 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 2nd, 2008, 10:08 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » January 26th, 2008, 9:09 am

KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » January 26th, 2008, 3:25 pm

And has anyone there (or here?) read the book? I have, and I don't think there's any chance for dismissing Dr Ward after having read the book.

Most of the comments in that thread betray a woeful ignorance of Lewis's writings and thought, and the only reasoned objector has all her objections answered thoroughly in Ward's book.

I suspect most of the opposition will come from those who don't really understand that Lewis was a Medieval at heart (not just a Medievalist) and who get nervous about things like planetary influence and the like. Not all opposition will come from that lot, but if/when Dr Ward's thesis becomes commonplace, I suspect the evangelicals who have barely been able to palate the magic in Lewis's books for some time now will drop him quickly. The rest of the opposition will come (if objecitons to date indicate anything) from those who think Dr Ward is accusing Lewis of being obscure or something of that sort (note the reference to TS Elliot [sic] over at the Dancing Lawn thread), not imaging that Lewis could write at several levels at once, since he was, again, a Medieval at heart.

And perhaps that's the real line in the sand: on the one side those who know Lewis as he was and who love the old world, and those who want Lewis as a sort of modernist apologist who also wrote pretty straight-forward fairy tales.

Carol: Existing ideas? I know that there have been one or two folks who almost stumbled on this before (Dr. Ward notes them in his book), and I know that Dr. Ward himself was mentioned in a Christianity Today article a couple or three years ago (which article engendered some discussion here, did it not?), but I'm not aware that anybody has put forward Dr. Ward's thesis or anything like it before.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » January 26th, 2008, 11:49 pm

Last edited by KnightOfFaith on January 26th, 2008, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » January 26th, 2008, 11:53 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » January 26th, 2008, 11:56 pm

KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » January 27th, 2008, 12:01 am

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » January 27th, 2008, 8:41 am

KnightOfFaith

Postby Paul F. Ford » January 29th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » January 29th, 2008, 8:17 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia