This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Planet Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Erekose » April 24th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Whenever I think of Stanley's description, I tend to think of some of Esher's pictures, such as...

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 24th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Very good connection!

And those nebulous "in-between" tiles in the middle area are probably the fellows at Bracton College who were generally neither here nor there, but more like pawns (or less) of the two "sides":-)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 24th, 2008, 9:20 pm

(by the way, I put the smiley face there on puprose, since I would say that the Bracton College is not really "nebulous" at all, but is the "contrasting" element to Edgestow, the college fellows being sort of the pawns of the NICE, manipulated and sacrificed by the more powerful pieces, and residents of Edgestow being connected more with the St. Annes side with a kind of (yet different of course) "pawn-ish" manipulated aspect.)

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Ward and Ford

Postby Bnayqyama » April 28th, 2008, 5:11 am

I read the Touchstone version of Ward's thesis and thought he was correct. Now I am reading the book and still think he is correct -- but be careful not to misread what he claims, especially those who accuse him of arrogance.

My problem is that Ward does not cite Paul Ford's Companion in the bibliography or index, yet Paul's article on the "Emperor-beyond-the-Sea," footnote #2, notes that "[i]n the Chronicles, Lewis is trying to restore the medieval worldview; it is always in the background" (194).
Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 28th, 2008, 1:45 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Cosmology and Worldview

Postby Bnayqyama » April 28th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby Bnayqyama » April 28th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » April 28th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Clearly, I need to get the book and read it. It looks like it'll have to wait a few weeks until I go home, though, because the library here doesn't have it... sad.
Member of the 2456317 Club

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » May 1st, 2008, 3:37 pm

Michael Ward is a gues on the latest issue of the Mars Hill Audio Journal:
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

The Planets in the Chronicles

Postby Bnayqyama » May 15th, 2008, 3:04 pm

The following note appears in Colin Duriez's The C.S. Lewis Chronicles (2005):
"Lewis returns to the astrological planets in The Chronicles of Narnia. In Narnia, the planets are ruled by intelligences, great lords and ladies (rather like the planets in Lewis's science-fiction trilogy). There is not a modern separation, therefore, between astronomy and astrology" (206).
Bnayqyama
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » May 20th, 2008, 12:30 pm

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » May 26th, 2008, 4:04 pm

haven't had time to read this interview yet:

matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » June 20th, 2008, 5:38 pm

I've just re-read Ward's book, and still finding it interesting and insightful. Something I've recently noticed (having become a bit of a bird nut lately) is that Voyage of the Dawn Treader seems to contain a disproportionate number of bird-related references, almost as though Lewis had been moved to include a significant number of literary/cultural bird 'archetypes' and motifs in this one particular book (one or two that don't occur in VDT get 'mopped up' in Prince Caspian). Apart from the fact that it's an interesting observation in itself (I don't yet see any obvious reason why VDT should be the book in which birds get 'centre stage') I wonder whether there is, or could be, any connection between the bird theme and Ward's assertion that VDT is the Chronicle linked to the planet Sol?

Interested to hear peoples' musings.
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Mr Hooper » July 4th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Mr Hooper
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » July 5th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

PreviousNext