This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Planet Narnia

Please don't close the door behind you.

Planet Narnia

Postby matdonna » 12 Dec 2007, 21:51

Wow, this looks really cool...haven't had time to read the site carefully yet, anyone else had a look yet?
http://www.planetnarnia.com/planet-narnia
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby CKinna » 13 Dec 2007, 15:52

Yes. I will not get into the details of the thesis, but I was in attendance at Wheaton a few years back where Dr Ward spoke on his view concerning Narnia and medieval cosmology. I will ask that this be posted on the events section when all plans are finalized, but until then if you are in the Frederick, MD area we will be hosting a book tour stop for Michael Ward on Thursday, February 21st. Check his website for his entire tour. Dates are still being added. Contact him and arrange a stop in your neighborhood!
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » 13 Dec 2007, 20:41

Well, the book was supposed to be released on Amazon.com yesterday, and I was supposed to have received my copy tomorrow, but now Amazon.com tells me I won't receive my copy until next Wednesday. The question is whether the delay has to do with the publishing or whether it's on Amazon.com's side.

Either way, I'm rather dissappointed—this was going to be a great reading weekend. :undecided:

Update: Now Amazon.com is telling me I won't have the book till Christmas Eve. Well, the only good thing here is that I have that entire week off, so I'll have more time to read than I would have if I'd gotten it tomorrow. All the same. . .
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » 02 Jan 2008, 15:49

This looks absolutely fascinating! Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.
'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » 02 Jan 2008, 16:56

Puddleglee wrote:This looks absolutely fascinating! Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy.

I'm two-thirds through the book and I have to say it is one of the most enjoyable books I've ever read and probably, without exxageration, the most important piece of Lewis scholarship ever.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 02 Jan 2008, 22:08

"the most important piece"? presumably excluding the primary works.

My feeling is that it will be a bit of a divider between people who think very highly of it and others who are less moved by the restating of existing ideas.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » 26 Jan 2008, 09:09

carol wrote:"the most important piece"? presumably excluding the primary works.

My feeling is that it will be a bit of a divider between people who think very highly of it and others who are less moved by the restating of existing ideas.

well, yeah, I guess divider is a good word for it. There's actually a very lively discussion going on about this in another forum. I hope it doesn't count as spam to provide the link to it here. The majority of us over there are of the opinion that his thesis is fallacious.
KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » 26 Jan 2008, 15:25

And has anyone there (or here?) read the book? I have, and I don't think there's any chance for dismissing Dr Ward after having read the book.

Most of the comments in that thread betray a woeful ignorance of Lewis's writings and thought, and the only reasoned objector has all her objections answered thoroughly in Ward's book.

I suspect most of the opposition will come from those who don't really understand that Lewis was a Medieval at heart (not just a Medievalist) and who get nervous about things like planetary influence and the like. Not all opposition will come from that lot, but if/when Dr Ward's thesis becomes commonplace, I suspect the evangelicals who have barely been able to palate the magic in Lewis's books for some time now will drop him quickly. The rest of the opposition will come (if objecitons to date indicate anything) from those who think Dr Ward is accusing Lewis of being obscure or something of that sort (note the reference to TS Elliot [sic] over at the Dancing Lawn thread), not imaging that Lewis could write at several levels at once, since he was, again, a Medieval at heart.

And perhaps that's the real line in the sand: on the one side those who know Lewis as he was and who love the old world, and those who want Lewis as a sort of modernist apologist who also wrote pretty straight-forward fairy tales.

Carol: Existing ideas? I know that there have been one or two folks who almost stumbled on this before (Dr. Ward notes them in his book), and I know that Dr. Ward himself was mentioned in a Christianity Today article a couple or three years ago (which article engendered some discussion here, did it not?), but I'm not aware that anybody has put forward Dr. Ward's thesis or anything like it before.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » 26 Jan 2008, 23:49

Just to lay all the cards out on the table, I'm the member Charn_Tim over in that thread (I should have just kept the same user name, but when I joined here I had just finished reading Kierkegaard's Fear And Trembling and my user name comes from that book).

repectabiggle wrote:Most of the comments in that thread betray a woeful ignorance of Lewis's writings and thought, and the only reasoned objector has all her objections answered thoroughly in Ward's book.

Which user are you referring to? I laid out 3 arguments (and cited a legitimate Lewis' scholar who I agree with) to show why his thesis that Lewis secretly intended to base each book off of one of the 7 heavens is fallacious and inconsistent with the rest of Lewis' writings. I have absolutely no problem with Ward claiming that there are many parallels, intentional or otherwise with the 7 heavens, but to understand each book as based off a Medieval "heaven" is inconsistent. Furthermore, Lewis explained his purpose for writing the Chronicles several times spelling out his intentions in letters and essays (see in particular "Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What's To Be Said" in the collection On Stories: And Other Essays On Literature where he does as good a job as anywhere articulating why and how he wrote the Chronicles).

Does Ward satisfactorily meet these objections in his book?

I suspect most of the opposition will come from those who don't really understand that Lewis was a Medieval at heart (not just a Medievalist) and who get nervous about things like planetary influence and the like. Not all opposition will come from that lot, but if/when Dr Ward's thesis becomes commonplace, I suspect the evangelicals who have barely been able to palate the magic in Lewis's books for some time now will drop him quickly. The rest of the opposition will come (if objecitons to date indicate anything) from those who think Dr Ward is accusing Lewis of being obscure or something of that sort (note the reference to TS Elliot [sic] over at the Dancing Lawn thread), not imaging that Lewis could write at several levels at once, since he was, again, a Medieval at heart.

And perhaps that's the real line in the sand: on the one side those who know Lewis as he was and who love the old world, and those who want Lewis as a sort of modernist apologist who also wrote pretty straight-forward fairy tales.

This may be true for some readers of the Chronicles, but it doesn't mean Ward's right. I have read all of Lewis' published non-academic writings as well as The Discarded Image and some of his essays on literary criticism. I am also aware of the many meanings that Lewis can weave into a story (ex: The Pilgrim's Regress) but I find Ward's thesis woefully inadequate to the facts.
Last edited by KnightOfFaith on 26 Jan 2008, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.
KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » 26 Jan 2008, 23:53

Ah, yes, you are the one reasoning poster to whom I referred. :-)

All I can say, I suppose, is that you really must read the book. The objections you raised are, I think, answered there. I'd certainly suggesting contacting Dr Ward, too, as I think, from what little contact I've had with him, that he'd welcome the interaction and discussion. He strikes me as a very genial person.

PS: Should I be addressing a "he" and not a "she" as I did? If so, my apologies!
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » 26 Jan 2008, 23:56

repectabiggle wrote:Ah, yes, you are the one reasoning poster to whom I referred. :-)

All I can say, I suppose, is that you really must read the book. The objections you raised are, I think, answered there. I'd certainly suggesting contacting Dr Ward, too, as I think, from what little contact I've had with him, that he'd welcome the interaction and discussion. He strikes me as a very genial person.

PS: Should I be addressing a "he" and not a "she" as I did? If so, my apologies!

haha, yes, I'm a guy and my name's Tim. I just have Susan as an avatar which may have thrown you off :)

I will read the book and perhaps contact Dr Ward.
KnightOfFaith

Postby repectabiggle » 27 Jan 2008, 00:01

Yes, I"m afraid the avatar threw me off. Again, my apologies!

You can probably tell I'm pretty gung-ho for the seven spheres thesis, so I hope I don't come off as too zelous—I do that sometimes. :-/
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby KnightOfFaith » 27 Jan 2008, 08:41

repectabiggle wrote:Yes, I"m afraid the avatar threw me off. Again, my apologies!

You can probably tell I'm pretty gung-ho for the seven spheres thesis, so I hope I don't come off as too zelous—I do that sometimes. :-/

yeah, being zealous is fine! :) I know there's gotta be something to Ward's thesis and I respect the scholarly work he's done, but I might just end up respectfully disagreeing with you (and him) and that's ok. Right now, I think he's overemphasizing what he has found, because I find the concept of a secret unifying meaning contradictory to Lewis' whole outlook as a writer. But of course I could be wrong...

Anyway, I'll have to get back to you once I've read his book (in a few days hopefully). Maybe my objections will be met.
KnightOfFaith

Postby Paul F. Ford » 29 Jan 2008, 19:44

I have read Ward's theory only in its earlier Times Literary Supplement version.

For what it’s worth, here is my take (from page 16 of the 2005 version of Companion to Narnia:

It is important to be aware of the fact that, unlike J. K. Rowling and her Harry Potter series, Lewis did not begin with any plan to write seven Chronicles of Narnia. (The series was christened The Chronicles of Narnia in 1952 by Lewis’s dear friend, Roger Lancelyn Green, on analogy with Andrew Lang’s Chronicles of Pantouflia.) [Footnote 26]

[Footnote 26] Biography, 245. This fact undermines Michael Ward’s earnest but implausible assertion that “Lewis intended the Chronicles as an embodiment of medieval astrology” in his commentary, “Planet Narnia,” in the April 25, 2003 issue of the Times Literary Supplement, 15. Ward strains to draw a comparison of the Chronicles with Lewis’s 1935 poem, “The Planets,” Poems, 26–29.
Paul Ford—self-appointed president of the "245-3617 Club" and proud member of the "245-6317 Club"; author of the Companion to Narnia and the Pocket Companion to Narnia.
Paul F. Ford
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » 29 Jan 2008, 20:17

Dr Ward answers this objection in his book. He does not assert that Lewis planned seven books from the first.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia