This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

ITW members on the movies

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Tharkun » December 18th, 2007, 8:19 pm

I must have something to work on...I cannot burn snow.

:roll:
Tharkun
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » December 19th, 2007, 7:15 am

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Re: ITW members on the movies

Postby ArdenZ » December 19th, 2007, 5:51 pm

"The master of that servant will come on the day when he is not looking for him, and at an hour that he is not aware of."
Matthew 24:50
ArdenZ
Wardrobian

Postby Shadowland Dweller » December 19th, 2007, 6:40 pm

Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » December 20th, 2007, 7:49 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » December 20th, 2007, 6:52 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » December 21st, 2007, 12:03 am

1. What did you think of the LWW movie?
I thought the LWW was pretty good actually. Of course there were a few disappointments, for example making it too unnecessarily action-packed - I loathe the river crossing/wolf confrontation scene and the Father Christmas/White Witch mistake scene, I was disappointed that there were less references to Aslan before they met him than there should have been, and I was disappointed that the Beavers were made to be a bit shallower than in the book. But over all, I was glad as to how close it was to the book - and I think the kids did wonderfully!

2. How closley do you follow the latest news on the movies?
I check regularly - once a day in fact!

3. What do you expect from PC and the rest of the movies?
To be honest, I expect it to build on from LWW in terms of the character of the children, I don't expect the movie to stray too far from the book, because I'm pretty sure the Adamson, Gresham and others know that they'll lose a major fan-base for these movies if they stray too far from the book. But to be honest, I'm expecting improvements after PC, because, like Isis Mussenden said earlier this year in a blog about PC it is a bit more "boring" (dare I say it! Shock, horror!) than LWW or the rest of the books. So to be honest, this is the only movie I'm not as excited about seeing because there's so much need for change to make it more interesting for screen, sadly....

4. If the movies are bad, how upset will you be?
It depends on how "bad" they could be. I honestly don't think most of them will stray too far from the books - with the exception of PC because it is very slow-paced. If they do turn out to be really bad, I won't be recommending them as much as I have recommended LWW (alongside the BBC version). But as I have said, I doubt they'll stray too far from the books.
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » December 21st, 2007, 1:03 pm

In the Prince Caspian trailer, when they emerge onto the beach, there are a couple of birds (seagulls) standing around. I picked up the book, and sure enough "Except for an occasional seagull" - I think this shows there is great attention to the small details, and where larger things have been changed it is for the sake of 'filmability'.

By the way, in PC, has anyone noticed that - though three moons of Narnia are mentioned by name - "the Moon" is often also mentioned. Dare I suggest that Lewis has slipped into thinking of a Narnian night in Earthly terms?
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » December 21st, 2007, 2:44 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » December 21st, 2007, 4:00 pm

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » December 21st, 2007, 4:09 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby a_hnau » December 21st, 2007, 7:33 pm

Coincidentally (if you believe in them), there's a new book out about a possible link between the structure of the CON, and Lewis's knowledge of medieval cosmology and philosophy;
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » December 21st, 2007, 7:47 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby aToaster » December 22nd, 2007, 4:35 am

aToaster
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » December 27th, 2007, 3:08 am

1. What did you think of the LWW movie?
I was disappointed. Factually speaking, there weren't a great deal of errors, but it was the overall sense/feel of the film that was flat to me. I didn't feel the anticipation/mystery of the book was captured in the film. glumPuddle mentioned the fairy tale feel of the books - that, again, was missing. The film had its good points, though. Mr. Tumnus was one of them, for me.

2. How closley do you follow the latest news on the movies?
Not nearly as closely as the first movie. I think I felt let down and that's kept me from getting quite so excited about PC. The trailer for PC did raise my hopes that the film would be a little more intense, but on the other hand, it seemed to stray further from the book.

3. What do you expect from PC and the rest of the movies?
My ideal expectations would be for more of a fairy-land simplicity that the books capture.

4. If the movies are bad, how upset will you be? I'm coming across more and more fans who have the attitude "the books are untouchable, so if the movie sucks, oh well, I'll just pretend the movies don't exist"
That wouldn't be quite how I would put it, the books are an ideal that the movies can't/won't reach, imo, and after my disappointment with LWW, I tend to not expect too much of the movies.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia