This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan's Proposed Marriage

Please don't close the door behind you.

Susan's Proposed Marriage

Postby Bill » October 6th, 2004, 9:32 pm

I don't want to make heavy weather out of this but something has always bothered me slightly about The Horse and His Boy. One of the main themes in the story is the proposed marriage of Susan to Prince Rabadash. Now I know that she did not marry him in the end but in the story she was contemplating it. I also know that in the story because of the different time frame in Narnia she was old enough to be married BUT when she got back to our world she was a little girl again. Had the marriage taken place what then.....?

Bill
Time is the fire in which we burn!

Bill
Wardrobian

Re: Susan's Proposed Marriage

Postby Stanley Anderson » October 6th, 2004, 10:01 pm

[from Bill]:
>Had the marriage taken place what then.....?

I suppose Aslan would say something like "no one is ever told what would have happened..."

But one can wonder the same thing about any number of "adult" things that children growing up would have experienced in all that time. I suppose, if one wanted to "work out an explanation" (which I think Lewis would not necessarily have considered, as it is just one of those things the reader is supposed to accept without questioning, else virtually no fantasy could ever be acceptably written), one might suggest that those difficult "adult" things would be swept out of their memory, much as traumatic experiences sometimes are in real life. In fact, as one thinks about it, Lewis must have had something of the sort in mind, for when the children return to Narnia in Prince Caspian, he indicates that they gradually re-develop lost or forgotten skills and memories acquired during their first visit to Narnia.

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » October 7th, 2004, 3:17 am

Postby a_hnau » October 7th, 2004, 8:30 pm

I think these responses to the original post are very insightful... I'm reminded (probably irrelevantly) of something which I am almost certain is in Pratchett - one of the characters unwittingly gets into an alternative reality (the Dungeon Dimensions?) and falsely experiences getting out again such that they think they are back in their original reality but in fact are not. The odd thing is that all the bizarre things that are now happening to them seem perfectly normal to them, and how they have always been, whereas we the readers know that there is a big problem. There's also that episode of the Simpsons where Homer gets an alternative reality machine (?toaster) and visits various alternative Simpson worlds e.g. where Marge and the kids are giant insects, where it rains doughnuts, and so on. Apologies for the digression!
Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » October 8th, 2004, 5:52 am

Postby a_hnau » October 8th, 2004, 7:44 pm

Urendi Maleldil
a_hnau
Wardrobian

Postby carol » October 9th, 2004, 10:43 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby robsia » October 9th, 2004, 10:49 am

robsia
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » October 15th, 2004, 3:23 pm

I don't think this story is from Pratchett. It reminds me of the ending of a book by, I think, Robert Sheckley. Earth Hunt, maybe? Could that be it?

I remember the Simpsons episode. The final joke was that Homer stayed in the wrong reality, saying that it was ‘close enough.’

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia