This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan "kicks butt" in PC movie :(

Please don't close the door behind you.

Susan "kicks butt" in PC movie :(

Postby glumPuddle » January 21st, 2008, 7:57 am

Yes, I'm afraid so...

USA TODAY: As a father of two daughters ages 4½ and 2, Adamson made sure that the girls weren't off to the side during the fighting but directly involved. "Susan really kicks (butt) in this film, and Lucy gets to use her dagger," he says. "Georgie would have complained loudly if she hadn't."
Popplewell proudly notes, "I shoot lots of people with my arrows. We kept a sort of death count, and I reached 14 halfway through shooting."

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=1402&dl=14980370
<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 21st, 2008, 10:00 am

I'm glad to read that Andrew let Georgie do a bit with the dagger. It would have been grossly unfair if she had been left out.
I say this for two reasons, [and not because I know Georgie has the "youngest child's gift of strong volume"].

1. When Lucy grew up in Narnia at the end of LWW, she was renowned for going into battle, using her bow, etc. She was rightly called Queen Lucy the Valiant as she showed courage that most young women did not, then or in the 1940s. Within a year of the events of HHB she had returned to England and her 8-year-old self, ready to 'grow up again'.
Lewis indicates that some of what she had gained is returning with every breath of Narnian air, in Prince Caspian.

2. Lucy will be a more independent girl in VDT, no longer looking to Peter and Susan for support, but helping Edmund and Caspian make adult decisions. In spite of being supposedly only ten in the book, I won't be surprised to see her played as pretty much her actual age at shooting (13 this July). Georgie needed a chance to start showing this side of Lucy's character, to help the audience realise she is no longer the little girl who did the "pretty please" pout and big eyes to Peter when suggesting Hide and Seek in LWW.

As for Susan "kicking butt", this is neither new nor needs to be literal. Shooting a few arrows and waving a sword/dagger about is okay. I don't think she's beheading or filleting anyone.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » January 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm

I must admit, I cringe at the whole concept of the night raid scene - is it honestly necessary? I believe not. But...*sigh* :undecided: I read the article from USA Today also, and I'll admit I am a bit nervous as I believe the movie could be closer to the book than what they're doing, but nevertheless as long as they keep it to just shooting arrows (on Susan's part) and using the dagger (on Lucy's part) and in limited amounts, I suppose that can be bearable. As for Lucy, it sort of makes sense - I mean it was after all she who according to H&HB fought in some battles, but Susan - it's a real break in character both from the book version of Susan in LW&W and PC and in the movie version of Susan in LW&W "Mother sent us to the professor to escape from the war!" (or something like that, she said...)

Ahh well...at least they can't do too much damage to the much loved VDT. :toothy-grin:
Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » January 21st, 2008, 4:52 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » January 21st, 2008, 5:04 pm

"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby glumPuddle » January 22nd, 2008, 5:58 am

<---Click
Chronological Order: 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956
glumPuddle
Wardrobian

Postby Jill-at-the-Well » January 22nd, 2008, 6:26 am

Member of the 2456317 Club

"I daren't come and drink," said Jill.
"Then you will die of thirst," said the Lion.
"Oh dear!" said Jill, coming another step nearer. "I suppose I must go and look for another stream then."
"There is no other stream," said the Lion.
Jill-at-the-Well
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » February 28th, 2008, 7:31 pm

I just finished rereading PC, something I'd planned to do before the movie but not too close to the movie as to interfere in my movie-gong experience. Anyway, while reading it I was reminded about how much Susan isn't in book. She really doesn't do anything other than complain (which I see as her moving away from Narnia, but that's beside the point.) I remember now that it actually annoyed me when I read PC before. Think about it:

*Peter the High King fights Miraz in single combat.
*Edmund the Just mediates the arrangement for single combat and helps fight in the ensuing battle.
*Lucy, always the most pure at heart, sees Aslan and has a few scenes with that.
*Susan shadows Lucy and complains.

Now I'm not advocating Legolas!Susan, but I can see why they needed to have her actually do something. Lucy as the most faithful has to have the scenes with Aslan, so despite the fact that she's better suited to fighting that Susan, she can't fight because she has to be with Aslan. Susan, though, is almost an extraneous character except as a foil for faithful Lucy, but you can only take so much of her not being as good as Lucy. At least with her archery skills she has something that none of the other characters do.

My conclusion: If they do it right, I actually won't be too disappointed in Susan "kicking-butt' so to speak. (Though it would be nice if they point out that she doesn't like fighting.)
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » March 1st, 2008, 12:55 am

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 1st, 2008, 3:01 am

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Postby King Edmund » March 1st, 2008, 3:04 am

Without my friends or cousins, I don't make sense. Life would be somewhere not worth my time.

King Edmund
Wardrobian

Postby nomad » March 1st, 2008, 6:11 am

member of the 2456317 club
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
nomad
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 1st, 2008, 4:34 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Esther » March 27th, 2008, 12:00 am

Member of the 2456317 club
Esther
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » March 27th, 2008, 2:59 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia