This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Susan "kicks butt" in PC movie :(

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby jymtastic » April 27th, 2008, 5:10 pm

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
-- C. S. Lewis
Faithful member of the 2456317 club

Thanks, A#minor for the sig!!!
jymtastic
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 28th, 2008, 1:00 am

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 28th, 2008, 1:48 pm

For me, it's a question of why we must have Susan (and Lucy?) fight. It isn't required by the text, and I don't see how it adds anything to the movie, so what is the real agenda here?

For all the complaining about Walter Hooper, perhaps we ought to give thanks that Doug Gresham hasn't been allowed to try his hand at editing Lewis's books? Or perhaps I should say he hasn't been allowed to be a secondary editor with far little input than he thinks who is really there as a figurehead to give legitimacy to whatever changes the real editor makes.

That might sound a bit mean, but I'd rather believe Doug Gresham is being fooled than that he is actually in on the real purpose behind changes like this.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 28th, 2008, 2:47 pm

I don't know repectabiggle, I'm more inclined to think that Doug Gresham is prepared for a few changes like this, as long as they present the "heart" of the books in the movies as best they can. To me, whilst I'd prefer the nearer to the book the better, I don't believe that the girls not fighting is a major aspect to the book - rather, it's the need for and reliance upon Aslan that's important - if that's presented, I won't be overly disappointed that the girls may be fighting in a night raid... :thinking:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 28th, 2008, 4:05 pm

The more we change and revise stories of the past, the less we will understand our forefathers. There are already plenty of people here who are clueless as to why Lewis and nearly everyone else ever born prior to 1950 felt that women-warriors (on the whole) were a bad idea.

Don't want to repeat things already said, so hope that people who think it's a great idea have read prior posts.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 29th, 2008, 1:55 am

Rus, despite what Lewis did or didn't think about "women-warriors" he did have Lucy fighting in the battle against Prince Rabadash in H&HB, and that should be taken into account on this issue. :wink:

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 29th, 2008, 5:51 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » April 29th, 2008, 5:36 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 30th, 2008, 2:10 am

Dan, see my previous post. I said, "on the whole".

Grammatically speaking Lucy is not even the subject of the sentence in which she is included. It's a non-defining (set off by commas and therefore unnecessary to the meaning of the sentence) subordinate clause with the preposition "with" rather than the conjunction "and", which would have made it clear. (Not to be pedantic, but since the whole example is a gigantic case of nit-picking, might as well throw that in. I have to teach that stuff to people learning English.) But that whole example is just a(n effective) way to distract from the main point, which it did. No one's disputing that Susan shot arrows or anything like that. But it misses the general point about women avoiding killing (moreso than men), so I'm not going to chase this one further. The key points have been posted above.
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » April 30th, 2008, 2:04 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » May 1st, 2008, 9:16 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Previous

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia