This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Question about Treachery.

Please don't close the door behind you.

Question about Treachery.

Postby Lirenel » March 16th, 2008, 1:29 am

I've been re-reading the books, and re-watching the Disney movie, and I came up with a few questions. Chief of which: At what point did Edmund become a 'traitor'? Was it when he left the Beavers' house with the intention of joining the White Witch? Was his treachery actually going to the Witch, or was it when he gave away that his siblings were at the Beavers' Dam? Telling the Witch about Aslan? Or was it all of that combined?

Any thoughts?[/i]
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 16th, 2008, 2:08 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » March 16th, 2008, 2:39 am

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Tuke » March 16th, 2008, 3:00 am

Last edited by Tuke on March 16th, 2008, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The 'great golden chain of Concord' has united the whole of Edmund Spenser's world.... Nothing is repressed; nothing is insubordinate. To read him is to grow in mental health." The Allegory Of Love (Faerie Queene)

2 Corinthians IV.17 The Weight of Glory
Tuke
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » March 16th, 2008, 3:07 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » March 16th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Edmund admits to Eustace that he was a traitor in Voyage of the Dawn Treader. He doesn't say anything about when his bad behavior first began, though I suspect that like Eustace, he was nasty for a long time in our world before coming to Narnia. Although he was not called a traitor at the beginning, he wasn't loyal to Lucy in saying that Narnia was a game instead of a real place. When the four children stayed in the professor's house he was kind of heartless and cruel and it got worse when he didn't tell the truth about he and Lucy's visit to Narnia. We are told very little about his life and tha of the other three children before arriving at the house. But it's very probable that he was much the same in character before the story begins.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » March 17th, 2008, 2:15 am

Lirenel
Wardrobian

Re: Question about Treachery.

Postby carol » March 17th, 2008, 9:17 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Re: Question about Treachery.

Postby Lirenel » March 17th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby carol » March 19th, 2008, 8:57 am

No, the treachery began with his unhappy school experiences and resentment.
It built up when Peter was taking charge when they were evacuated (and maybe, as shown in the film, when their father was already away), and gained its opportunity for action once he met the Witch.

The act of treachery was to leave the Beavers' house and walk to the Witch's castle in conditions he could easily have turned back in. He told the Witch where the other children were, and who had helped them.
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » March 19th, 2008, 11:10 am

Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby carol » March 19th, 2008, 8:03 pm

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » March 19th, 2008, 8:36 pm

Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby carol » March 21st, 2008, 6:16 am

True, but frustrating, I guess!? :wink:
carol
Wardrobian

Postby Messenger_of_Eden » March 21st, 2008, 1:22 pm

"If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself."--St. Augustine of Hippo
Messenger_of_Eden
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia