This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia Films Ending After Dawn Treader??

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby repectabiggle » April 1st, 2008, 1:50 pm

Thank goodness you said "hanged." If you'd said burned. . .

Sorry, one of my pet annoyances when people talk about how they burned all these people for witches in Salem. Points for you, sir!
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 2nd, 2008, 3:44 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » April 11th, 2008, 1:23 am

Witchcraft is frowned upon in the Harry Potter books too. The only 'real' witchcraft (the stuff that God disaproves of) is referred to as 'the Dark Arts' and only troublesome, rebellious and evil witches/wizards are associated with it. In fact, the staff at Hogwarts have forbidden those practices (and they have a Defence against the Dark Arts subject to train their pupils 'in the way they should go').

That's hardly supporting witchcraft.
I wish many Christians were more intelligent and less pig-headed!

Member of The 2456317 Club
Warrior 4 Jesus
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 11th, 2008, 1:39 am

Although people who never read the books told me the opposite, there is a kind of moral code in the Harry Potter books. Probably the forces of evil could not have done much at the party held at Barnes and Noble because there weren't enough wicked things going on there. Demons might also be bored with our Halloween parties because they aren't sinister enough! :lol:

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » April 11th, 2008, 1:06 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 12th, 2008, 8:50 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 12th, 2008, 11:45 am

But don't you really have to prove that there is something evil in the books first? I read only one Harry Potter book and I could not find anything seriously wrong with it. Reading only one volume of the series doesn't make me an expert on the series, but I would challenge those who criticize the series to find something specifically wrong with the stories besides the witchcraft. There are also other stories with good magicians (including Narnia) so how would Harry Potter different in having a witch than isn't necessarily sinister? There was Glenda, the good witch of the north in The Wizard of Oz. Television also had its witches. We used to enjoy watching Bewitched back in the 1960's and we never thought Samantha (Elizabeth Montgomery) was evil. Plus she was good looking while other witches were usually ugly. :smile: That old show was nothing great (it was rather silly), but there was nothing harmful for your children in it, either. I don't see how Harry Potter would be much different, although as I said before, I have read the whole series.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 12th, 2008, 12:53 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » April 12th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Postby Larry W. » April 13th, 2008, 12:24 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 13th, 2008, 9:19 am

rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 13th, 2008, 9:43 am

Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 13th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » April 14th, 2008, 1:24 am

The scripts don't always follow the books with great accuracy. Some important lines were lost in the shortening process, e.g. "Wrong will be right when Aslan comes in sight..." Tumnus to Lucy: "And can you ever forgive me for what I might to do." Why were the lines omitted? Perhaps because they were deep and thoughtful instead of entertaining. The movie wasn't bad-- it was very good instead of excellent. But it is not as thoughtful and profound as the book. Making more entertainment than thought may be behind changing too much of the original story to fit the movie.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby historyb » April 15th, 2008, 12:44 am

historyb
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia