This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Narnia Films Ending After Dawn Treader??

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby jymtastic » April 26th, 2008, 6:48 pm

I am glad this isn't true!!!! My heart almost stopped when I read the heading on this forum!!!!! :smile:
jymtastic
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » May 10th, 2008, 9:50 pm

If you were subjects of Maleldil, you would have peace.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby carol » May 11th, 2008, 6:05 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Silence » May 11th, 2008, 8:55 am

Silence
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » May 11th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 11th, 2008, 3:10 pm

The Andrew Adamson LWW movie wasn't all that bad. It didn't slaughter the book, but the faithfulness of the script to the original story could have been much better. One cannot ignore the fine acting and special effects.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 12th, 2008, 12:02 am

There are of course many important points and aspects to the book. But if one were to name the single aspect and primary reason for the story's existence, it is the Deeper Magic from Before the Dawn of Time. It is what all the other chapters before the chapter with that name were leading up to (consider for instance, the idea leading to it of Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time), and from which the chapters after descend from and derive their importance.

It is this aspect out of all the lesser ones that the director chose to remove, and yet did so in a somewhat "hidden" manner so as to disarm, if it were possible, criticism of the "slaughter".

Sorry, but it is exactly the sort of thing the world tries to do to Christian doctrine -- ie, declaw, water-down, turn bland and make impotent. To be sure, the film still had some degree of "power" here and there, but it was a blurring or fogging over of important things Lewis was trying to do and to get across "past watchful dragons".

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby UrendiMaleldil » May 14th, 2008, 11:51 am

the "power" the movies seem to have is merely the power to entertain. which... i suppose is estimable in its own merit, but i'd still call it slaughtering. but... i am your neighborhood narnia movie hater :smile: maybe A#minor will design a custom signature for me :wink:

i'm not meaning to critique michael apted's directing skills... or even his style. but... the world is not enough? LWW was bad enough coming from adamson's skewed worldview and 8 year old's memory of the books... i can't imagine VDT being much better. but then... i'm not eager to be entertained. the movies don't really enhance my enjoyment of the stories. they just make people rich.
If you were subjects of Maleldil, you would have peace.
UrendiMaleldil
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » May 14th, 2008, 12:55 pm

I agree that sometimes accuracy to the books was sacrificed for entertainment purposes, but on the whole the movie wasn't bad. The acting and realism with the modern technology made up in part for what the film lacked in complete faithfulness to the book. It's hard to find movies that are perfect adaptations of books. If I were to grade the film like a school teacher grades a paper, I'd give the LWW film a B or B- . Please don't be heartless and give it an F. :smile: Maybe Prince Caspian will be better.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » May 14th, 2008, 1:50 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 14th, 2008, 4:32 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » May 14th, 2008, 5:14 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » May 14th, 2008, 5:43 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » May 14th, 2008, 6:17 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » May 14th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia