This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Inconsistency found?

Please don't close the door behind you.

Inconsistency found?

Postby Danman » April 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Hey.... I recently finish VDT with my daughter. In it, as we all know, Reepicheep informs his crewmates of the rhyme sung over him by a driad when he was an infant (you know, about sweet water). BUT, if we look bat a PC, we are reminded at that point, and presumeably for quite some time, that the driads and niads, etc. have been 'asleep' for a very long time, and it takes Aslan to waken them. How old is Reepicheep anyway?

What do you think, is this an inconsistency in the story or is there some other explanation? Let's hear it.

There's something that struck me about SC the other night as I read it aloud to my daughter. Something along the inconsistency line, but alas, I can't remember it right now. I'll try to think of it and post again later.
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » April 15th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Hmm. . .well, how old is Reep? Perhaps there were wood spirits (at least one, anyway) in the place he grew up? Interesting. . .
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » April 16th, 2008, 2:21 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » April 16th, 2008, 7:08 am

Erm.....

:toothy-grin:

Let's see whatI can come up with off the top of me nut...

1) Rep is recounting a childhood memory, possibly from when he was VERY young sooo...

Maybe it didn't actually happen, but was more akin to the remberance of a dream. This would not make the story any less in value, and could actually be a source behind why Reep is actually the way he is.

2) Perhaps one did awaken briefly. Perhaps, Reep when very young got lost in the wood, and was comforted. Being so young, he didn't realise at the time what a rare and wonderful thing had occurred, but as he grew older it helped to reinforce his convictions. Or maybe, even as a very young Reep, his conbviction/belief was so strong that it resulted in a short term awakening?

Just a couple of ideas produced by a dulled brain not quite awake. Hope they are of interest :toothy-grin:

And, as some are aware. I do not think inconsistacies exist. They are either 1) the effects of characters inaccurately recounting others stories (as happens in real life)
2) recounts of old folk-lore/mythologies, as also happens in real life
3) gaps in the narrative either left because real life also has gaps in the "narrative" or as an opening in the event that Lewis had ever decided to bow to pressure and write another.

Or.. maybe even all three. Who knows?
Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » April 25th, 2008, 8:47 pm

And here's another thing... In PC, Cair Paravel lies in ruins, yet in SC we read that Eustace and Jill land at Cair, next to the sea. How, pray, did a castle once in ruins, get cleaned up, rebuilt, and reinhabited in the years of Caspian's rule? Of course, he's 70 or 80 years old in SC, so there was plenty of time, but it jsut struck me as odd.
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » April 25th, 2008, 8:56 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Erekose » April 25th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Call yourself a dog???? I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!!!
Erekose
Wardrobian

Postby carol » April 26th, 2008, 11:32 am

carol
Wardrobian

Postby Pete » April 26th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Member of The 2456317 Club

Pete
Wardrobian

Postby Lady_Gwendolene » June 5th, 2008, 10:36 am

Lady_Gwendolene
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » June 5th, 2008, 6:16 pm

Good points, all. Thanks. I seem to recall that I also caught one or two little glitches in either SC or MN, but they escaped me before I could write them down.

Interrestingly, and I didn't know this, Lewis, just days before his death, was making plans to revise the books to clear up some things and make them more cohesive. I read that on the inside jacket of the DVD of the BBC (good grief with the acronyms) edition of LWW (you remember, the one where the witch screams all the time - live action).

I'll make a comment here. I just finished reading MN to my daughter (again). She says it's her favorite. Though I've always like the book, parts of it struck me in a new way this time around. Somehow the last two chapters were more meaningful, deeper, richer. I gained a new, deeper appreciation for the book this time around. I also learned a few things about tyrants and cowards, they're all alike and they won't accept responsibility for themselves.
Danman
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 5th, 2008, 8:03 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » June 20th, 2008, 8:05 am

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby kbrowne » June 20th, 2008, 10:43 am

kbrowne
Wardrobian

Postby ilja » June 28th, 2008, 7:08 pm

I am currently reading the Chronicles again, in the beginning of TMN now, and have in the last days marked what struck me as interesting or inconsistent. It seems Lewis got especially negligend in the end of HHB:

- Shasta mount the horse given to him by Lunes hunting party in a moment, causing a remark of lord Darrin - whereas two days ealier at the tombs he evies Aravis "Shasta wished he could mount like that".
- in the pool Bree sees his old master Anradin; how could he, left without a horse and deceived about the direction of its escape join Rabadash so soon.
- in the presence of the horses Aslan tells Aravis why he punished her and, as usual, that nobody is ever told any story but their own
- And Lucy told again (they had all, except Aravis and Cor, heard it many times but they all wanted it again) the Tale of the Wardrobe ... ... how then could they have forgotten it when hunting the stag in Lantern Waste in LWW

I think there were some more fishy things about time in LWW and TMN, not sure ...
And Cair Paravel seemed to be at least reinhabited, if not completely rebuilt, three years after Caspians coronation. They set out from there in VDT, it is mentioned right after Reepisheeps verse.
ilja
Wardrobian

Next

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia