This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

narnia quote - and a wedding

Please don't close the door behind you.

narnia quote - and a wedding

Postby wood-maid » April 21st, 2008, 7:56 pm

I haven't been posting on these forums much lately - too busy with school and wedding planning - but I had a question and I thought of you all. I'm getting married in June and because the Chronicles of Narnia were such a special part of my childhood (and even teens, I admit :toothy-grin: ), I would love to put a quote from the books in my wedding program. But I can't come up with a quote that would work.

Any ideas? Obviously there aren't exactly romantic/love quotes in the books, but is there anything that could work somehow? :thinking: Maybe I'm stretching it, but I would love to figure something out.
"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Postby Silence » April 21st, 2008, 8:30 pm

Congratulations; I am so happy for you!

When it comes to weddings and married couples, I can think of a few; Frank and Helen in The Magician's Nephew, Shasta/Cor and Aravis in a few comments at the very end of The Horse and His Boy, lightly touching King Caspian and the star's daughter beginning to fall in love in chapters 13, 14, and in the last paragraph of Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This isn't even starting on the examples of what you don't want in a marriage (Prince Rilian and the Green Lady, Susen and Rabadash, Aravis and Ahoshta Tarkaan, Caspian and the Duke of Galma's daughter . . . :wink:)

Seriously though, as a children's book and a fairy tale, it doesn't make a fuss about marriage, though it clearly makes it a beautiful, albeit practical thing. If you can't find any particular part you are happy with, you could always forget specifics, and focus on generalities (Aslan as the bridegroom, and everything he does and goes through for his people; the nature of love in the books (how it leads characters to act or feel at times); the beauty and gentility of the women, the strength and courage of the men), and find a quote that brings that particular beautiful thing out (or reflects your relationship).

Hope this general ramble helped, and God bless.

Silence :read:
Silence
Wardrobian

Postby The Pfifltrigg » April 25th, 2008, 4:50 am

I too am looking at a wedding upcoming: but fortunately someone else is doing most of the planning for me :wink: Congratulations.

I don't know why, but the end of VDT has a passage that seems the best for the occasion: Aslan speaking to Ed and Lucy about why they were called to Narnia in the first place, and why they cannot come back. The one about knowing him there to know him better here.
False ideas may be refuted indeed by argument, but by true ideas alone are they expelled. — Apologia Pro Vita Sua: Cardinal Newman
Freedom lost and then regained bites with deeper fangs than freedom never in danger. — Cicero
You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them. — Ray Bradbury
The Pfifltrigg
Wardrobian

Postby wood-maid » April 27th, 2008, 3:43 am

"Jill," said Tirian, "you are the bravest and most wood-wise of all my subjects, but also the most malapert and disobedient."
"By the Mane!" he whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wondrous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better." - The Last Battle
wood-maid
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia