This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis's Biblical undertones Harder to distinguish in PC ???

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Dan65802 » June 16th, 2008, 6:27 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 17th, 2008, 2:57 am

I'm just thinking about when people say, "my church". To a typical Protestant/Evangelical, it frequently means "a local building/place where they teach what I believe". It winds up being de facto a self-contained cosmos.
To Orthodox and Catholics, "my church" simply means "my parish" (a local branch of a Church whose teachings are accepted and not disputed by all of its members).

Of course there are loose-knit organizations that have agreement on major doctrines, but the 'independent' church (as in something having the right to secede or go its own way) is the supreme unit.

The problem is that when a church is "led its own way" to break with a larger organization, who is to say who is right and who is wrong? Everyone claims the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and points to Scripture that seems to support their position, yet we know this cannot be so - the Holy Spirit is not divided against Itself, or seeking more division between Christians.

There must be Something supreme, that can say that these Christians are interpreting Scripture rightly, and those are not. And this is precisely what Scripture can and does not tell us.

It's just that when you say "my church" you are effectively saying "my divisible unit"; in effect, not THE Church (definite article in the singular, denoting a unique thing; the only one).
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 17th, 2008, 2:53 pm

"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 17th, 2008, 5:24 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 17th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 17th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Last edited by JRosemary on June 18th, 2008, 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 17th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 17th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Last edited by postodave on June 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Last edited by JRosemary on June 17th, 2008, 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 17th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 17th, 2008, 9:04 pm

Lol--I completely missed Postodave's post and got very confused, Dan, thinking you were answering me from above. (Huh--did I just write about Sodom & Gomorrah?)

Postodave, have you read the Conservative Law Committee's decisions (yes, there are multiple desicions, lol) about gay marriage? I put the link somewhere in the Gay Marriage thread--I'll have to find it again. If you can stand it, there are pages and pages of discussions on Torah passages, rabbinic commentaries on those Torah passages, modern commentaries, etc...
JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby postodave » June 17th, 2008, 9:16 pm

So summarizing the summary of the summary is there a consensus among older Jewish commentators that the story of Sodom is condemning homosexuality as such as opposed to homosexual rape or the abuse of hospitality.
So I drew my sword and got ready
But the lamb ran away with the crown
postodave
Wardrobian

Postby JRosemary » June 17th, 2008, 9:38 pm

JRosemary
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 18th, 2008, 1:44 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 18th, 2008, 5:10 pm

rusmeister
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia