This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Lewis's Biblical undertones Harder to distinguish in PC ???

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 20th, 2008, 7:45 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 20th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Well, it does seem lately like the authority debate is drummed up out of every conversation it could possibly be construed as having any relevance to. It's like driving around town and seeing a cop hop out and pull over another car every few minutes. All you can do is think "Poor sucker" and keep a wary eye out yourself.

I can't speak for any other users, but it does get a bit tiresome to see so many discussions derailed into that sort of thing, especially when we all pretty much know who thinks what and who isn't going to change their mind about this or that.
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Dan65802 » June 20th, 2008, 8:24 pm

And I apologize for my frequent participation in it. As I've mentioned before, I usually let things go a few times before I respond. It just saddens me to see conversations that basically go, "Yes, Caspian was a good king. This reminds me why the sola scriptura folk have it all wrong." I can't help but challenge that every once in a while for the sake of reminding people that there's another POV. Unfortunately, those challenges do seem to run on a bit. :blahblah:

- Dan -
"Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." - Martin Luther King
Dan65802
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 20th, 2008, 8:27 pm

I suppose it does get pretty weary having theological issues arising so often on a site devoted to C.S. Lewis (thinking of that comment by Warren about person on the bus who saw the nativity scene outside and said -- paraphrasing -- "they try to bring religion into everything. Now they're even bringing it into Christmas").

Would Lewis have stood for it? Not sure if he'd have time to give an opinion, what with rushing off to Socratic Club meetings and all.

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 20th, 2008, 8:33 pm

haha point well taken, Stanley. Don't you think, though, that Lewis would be the sort of guy who would say "Look, we know that Stanley is a Catholic, rusmeister is Orthodox, and Dan is an Evangelical. Need we go into that again and again?"

Ah, but maybe I'm just sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong. And I suppose I did add to the current discussion. :lipssealed:
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 20th, 2008, 8:33 pm

(By the way, I recommend reading the posts that began this thread on the first page and decide whether the subject as pursued was unwarranted or "unprovoked")

--Stanley
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 20th, 2008, 8:34 pm

(didn't see your post before I posted my last above)
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 20th, 2008, 8:37 pm

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 20th, 2008, 9:48 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Guest » June 20th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 21st, 2008, 1:26 am

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 21st, 2008, 5:50 am

I'll tell you why we do this.
This is like being in a fencing duel a la "The Three Musketeers" with several men to a side.
Touche! Riposte! (re-post? ) :smile:

Seriously, yeah, Stanley said what I was trying to say, and as usual, did it better. It's good for my humility! (Tho' bad for his ) :think:

These things DO matter, and as soon as you try to talk about unity, let's talk about unity under a device that does not insist on doctrines that to some of us are key (salvific), such as OSAS (Once Saved, Always Saved - that when we say the sinner's prayer one time, BOOM! SHAZAM! we are saved forever and it's irrevocable) or Sola Scriptura, that expects us to deny the rest of Holy Tradition (as something distinct from local church practices) as being authoritative.

Not meaning to place anyone here as malicious, but I am reminded of Theoden's exchange with Saruman at Orthanc: "Shall we have peace?"

Respectabiggle, again, your question of why we keep bringing up the question of authority is good - the answer is simply that it is the first question, and all disagreements spring from it. The only hope of dealing with the differences, which if we examine what they are, we agree are critical, is to get as close to the root of the problem as possible. This is precisely what Lewis didn't do, and it is where his usefulness to us ends.

This kind of question may not be helpful to an atheist who isn't ready to consider Christianity, but it sticks out like a sore thumb for anyone who has progressed to the point that it does become relevant.
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » June 21st, 2008, 2:02 pm

Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » June 21st, 2008, 2:12 pm

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » June 22nd, 2008, 12:18 am

repectabiggle
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia