This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader (aka my favorite book)

Please don't close the door behind you.

Postby Lirenel » 08 Aug 2008, 20:00

I've recently become worried that they might have a sort of Caspian-Edmund conflict over Ramandu's daughter. Please no. Please, please no.

However, I am hoping that at least in VODT Edmund will have a bigger part than in PC. Maybe an actual line...
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby repectabiggle » 11 Aug 2008, 13:46

This is why I'm glad I haven't and won't see the second movie or any of the subsequent movies. I learned my lesson with the first one. ;-)
repectabiggle
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » 15 Aug 2008, 10:29

I'm planning to see the movie whenever it comes out, but I'm afraid that my reaction will be the same as the last film, which was not very accurate to the book. If want a good version of VDT which is very close to Lewis, listen to the Focus on the Family radio drama. It isn't a movie, but the audio drama is best thing because you can create the picture in your mind.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » 18 Aug 2008, 03:24

Shadowland Dweller wrote:you are a marshwiggle aren't you :wink: don't be so glum :grin:

i don't think they will they will take out the de-dragon-ing part, Eustace's entire story hinges on this.

They might have someone fall in Deathwater, would be rather dramatic... :thinking:

I can't wait to see how the islands will look, I think that is one reason why I like VDT so much, the variety and imagination, that and I love Eustace's story.

My favorite parts are:
Eustace and the dragon
Lucy reading the magic book
Ramandu and his daughter

I also love the description of Dawn Treader, which is odd because I don't really care about boats or ships, but I love the idea of the ship being a dragon.

Hey, SD, one thought on de-dragoning - they could really de-fang it by changing it from Aslan ripping off layers of skin painfully to simply some other kind of magical transformation. And remove the water theme (hey - it's not necessary...right? :confused: ). As written, it might suggest to a discerning audience that we are all dragons and that water might, uh, have something to do with Eustace's salvation...
"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister

Postby Shadowland Dweller » 18 Aug 2008, 08:12

*sputters* well....they better not!!! I might hurt someone! :grin:
Shadowland Dweller
Wardrobian

Postby Wormwood Scrubb » 26 Aug 2008, 19:28

VDT is surely easier to adapt than PC, because it has a strong linear plotline and fewer major characters (sometimes the burrow, I mean the How got a little crowded :tongue:). It should be harder for Walden to make it worse than PC than it is for a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of butter into a wild cat's ear with a red-hot needle. :grin:
Wormwood Scrubb
Wardrobian

Postby Larry W. » 27 Aug 2008, 03:18

I hope it's made into a real sea voyage. The BBC version wasn't too bad, but it lacked technology and a large budget,which would have made the TV specials more convincing. The ship and the sea were authentic, but the storms and the sea serpent looked rather artificial. Also, being combined with Prince Caspian was not the best idea. The story was shortened to two hours when it should have been at least two and a half or three hours. Too much was lost in that adaptation. I don't expect this movie to be completely accurate to the book, but I hope it will be as close as possible.

Larry W.
Larry W.
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » 27 Aug 2008, 21:38

Wormwood Scrubb wrote: It should be harder for Walden to make it worse than PC than it is for a one-armed blind man in a dark room trying to shove a pound of butter into a wild cat's ear with a red-hot needle.

:??: :undecided:

Owwww. My head.
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Wormwood Scrubb » 28 Aug 2008, 09:26

archenland_knight wrote:Owwww. My head.

Sorry, archenlander_knight, I freely admit to having a distinct liking for extravagant idiom. :smile: That one originated from the exalted Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, just in case you were wondering...
Wormwood Scrubb
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 28 Aug 2008, 14:23

Wormwood Scrubb wrote:
archenland_knight wrote:Owwww. My head.

Sorry, archenlander_knight, I freely admit to having a distinct liking for extravagant idiom. :smile: That one originated from the exalted Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, just in case you were wondering...

And what (with excited anticipation like being harried with the quills of the fretful porpentine) was that line from in particular?

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby Wormwood Scrubb » 29 Aug 2008, 11:12

Stanley Anderson wrote:
And what (with excited anticipation like being harried with the quills of the fretful porpentine) was that line from in particular?

--Stanley

The Return of Battling Billson from Ukridge. Not the snappiest of titles I admit, but still well worth reading. Don't tell me there are no closet Wodehousians on this admirable site? :smile:

But wait, this thread is supposed to be about VDT and I would not for the world be an unwitting instrument of digression. Therefore I shall pose a question; where does everyone think the film should start? With Lucy and Emund already at Eustace's house? Wouldn't that perhaps be a little bit of a flat opener? Or shall it be the book, the whole book and nothing but the book? :wink:

Personally, I think it should start at Experiment House.
Wormwood Scrubb
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » 01 Sep 2008, 16:06

Wormwood Scrubb wrote:Don't tell me there are no closet Wodehousians on this admirable site? :smile:

Well, an attempt to indicate that closet status was behind my reference to the fretful porpentine. Would I have been clearer if I had referenced instead the incident of the prawns or one of Mr. Mulliner's relatives or Buck-U-Uppo or Eulalie or the correct pronunciation of Psmith? :-)

But I certainly haven't read everything by Wodehouse. What can you tell me about The Return of Battling Bilson or Ukridge? I haven't heard of it (I hope I haven't suddenly discounted my claim to Wodehousian status by my profession of such ignorance. Is it something all Wodehouse fans should know about?)

Hmmm...I just now looked up Ukridge on Wikipedia. Sounds interesting though it does say it is less well-known. I notice the article mentions a BBC Comedy TV series. Is it worth looking at (and is it even available I wonder)?

--Stanley
…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby matdonna » 01 Sep 2008, 22:24

post cut because I didn't read carefully enough. :blush:

and plus the thread started out as VDT and not Wodehouse...heh...
matdonna
Wardrobian

Postby Wormwood Scrubb » 02 Sep 2008, 09:23

Stanley Anderson wrote:
Well, an attempt to indicate that closet status was behind my reference to the fretful porpentine. Would I have been clearer if I had referenced instead the incident of the prawns or one of Mr. Mulliner's relatives or Buck-U-Uppo or Eulalie or the correct pronunciation of Psmith? :-)

Ah, missed that one. Or rather, I did pick up on the porpentine usage but thought of it as a more generic phrase and thus a coincidence. My feelings are now akin (archenlander_knight might want to look away if he's watching) to a man who, while attempting to transport a life-sized model of the Taj Mahal sculpted out of salt, using only a cheese grater, behoves a posse of rabid, protanopia-suffering bulls approach whilst clad solely in the Libyan flag during a heavy thunderstorm. :rolleyes:

Stanley Anderson wrote:
But I certainly haven't read everything by Wodehouse. What can you tell me about The Return of Battling Bilson or Ukridge? I haven't heard of it (I hope I haven't suddenly discounted my claim to Wodehousian status by my profession of such ignorance. Is it something all Wodehouse fans should know about?)

Hmmm...I just now looked up Ukridge on Wikipedia. Sounds interesting though it does say it is less well-known. I notice the article mentions a BBC Comedy TV series. Is it worth looking at (and is it even available I wonder)?

Not to worry, anyone who has heard of Spode, Mulliner or Psmith can count themselves a true disciple :wink:. It's the 'Jeeves - isn't that a defunct search-engine?' heathens who still require conversion. The exploits of Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge are similar to the stories told by Mulliner, whom I see you are acquainted with. What really marks him out as a character of Plum's is probably his complete lack of scruples. Of all the notable Wodehouse worlds, Ukridge is probably the least important, at least in terms of size. But I'd still recommend them, particularly the one where he turns his Aunt Julia's house into a hotel and has to evict his guests before her return.

I've never actually seen a screen adaptation of Wodehouse preferring, like many CoN fans, to keep the images from the books. So I have no idea whether it'd be worth more than a swift glance. I'm not a qualified expert on all things Wodehousian - just a eager amateur. :smile:

matdonna wrote:
and plus the thread started out as VDT and not Wodehouse...heh...

My apologies. But may I beg to point out this is not the first time on this thread that a different author has come into discussion? :wink:
Wormwood Scrubb
Wardrobian

Postby carol » 07 Sep 2008, 06:30

Wormwood Scrubb wrote:But wait, this thread is supposed to be about VDT and I would not for the world be an unwitting instrument of digression.

WHYever not?? Don't you realise that the official motto under the Wardrobian crest reads "I digress" ??? :smile: (decided long ago)
carol
Wardrobian

PreviousNext

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia