This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Feasting in CoN

Please don't close the door behind you.

Feasting in CoN

Postby Puddleglee » November 14th, 2008, 2:16 pm

I've just completed my umpteenth read of VDT - SC, here I come!

Anway, when I came to Ramandu's island with the magical feast laid out on the table, it suddenly struck me that eating and drinking are an important element of all the CoN. Below is a list off the top of my head - I don't claim it is exhaustive!

LWW - Lucy being lured by Mr Tumnus into taking tea with him, Edmund eating magical Turkish delight, all four children eating with the Beavers

PC - two lunches between four when the children first arrive on the island, fish and bear meat with Trumpkin, the feast at Dancing Lawn, the feast produced by Bacchus and the Mynads (sp) after the romp

VDT - the meal delivered by the Dufflepuds before Lucy makes them visible, the meal Coriakin produces after Lucy has made him visible, the magical feast on Ramandu's island, drinking the water of the last sea, the picnic on the beach with Aslan

SC - eating eels with Puddleglum, Puddleglum drinking the giant's brew, eating with Rillian during his enchantment, eating in the cave after they escaped from Underworld

HHB - Aravis' 'rather nice things', the feast Tumnus brings to Shasta in Tashbaan, the food Aravis has in the Hermit's house

MN - Digory and Polly sharing the toffees, Jadis eating the apple, Digory lusting after an apple, Digory feeding an apple to his mother

LB - Jill and Eustace giving Tirian the sandwiches they've brought, the 'porridge' in the tower, the fruit they eat 'inside' the stable

All of this suggests that Lewis thought food and drink important. Narnia seems to be the place to go for a good knees up!
'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby Leslie » November 15th, 2008, 1:38 am

"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby rusmeister » November 15th, 2008, 2:39 am

"Eh? Two views? There are a dozen views about everything until you know the answer. Then there's never more than one."
Bill "The Blizzard" Hingest - That Hideous Strength
rusmeister
Wardrobian

The reason behind all the reference to food in the CoN

Postby anuska » November 15th, 2008, 3:01 am

anuska

Re: The reason behind all the reference to food in the CoN

Postby Puddleglee » November 16th, 2008, 7:45 pm

'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby galion » November 17th, 2008, 9:38 am

Rus says: "It is as important to feast when feast time comes as it is to fast at fasting times. "
Or, as GKC says:

"Feast on wine or fast on water,
And your honour shall stand sure.
God Almighty's son and daughter,
He the valiant, she the pure.
If an angel out of Heaven
Brings you other things to drink,
Thank him for his kind intentions -
Go and pour them down the sink."
galion
Wardrobian

Postby Danman » November 21st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Let's not forget the pavenders that are mentioned being eaten on several ocassions.

Jill's drink of water on Aslan's mountain.

Shasta's breakfast with the dwarfs.

The Hermit of the Southern March's meals with the horses and Aravis.

Glimfeather's snack of bat-in-flight.

Eels with Puddleglum.

Bree eating grass and Shasta eating onions, etc.

Roonwit's draught of wine at Tirian's hunting lodge.

I'm sure there are many more....
"And this is the marvel of marvels, that he called me, Beloved, me who am but as a dog---" Emeth.
And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; But the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them.
Danman
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia