This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Nautical VDT query

Please don't close the door behind you.

Nautical VDT query

Postby Puddleglee » January 6th, 2009, 2:32 pm

Now, I've always pronounced the name of Caspian's ship as Dawn Treader, ie, the way it's written. Today, a colleague told me that her husband (who is a bit of a sailing buff) says it should be pronounced 'trader'.

Any thoughts, anyone?
'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Re: Nautical VDT query

Postby john » January 6th, 2009, 4:16 pm

john
Chief Wardrobian
john
Chief Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » January 6th, 2009, 4:32 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » January 6th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Were the ship a commercial trading vessel, then pronouncing it "Dawn Trader" might make sense. And the first time I saw the title, before I had ever read any of the Narnia books, I mistakenly saw "Voyage of the Dawn Trader". However, it is a ship built for exploration, not trade.

But once I took a closer look at the title I realized it was "Treader". I think I was about half way through the book by that point. :brood:

But then, the connection to the idea of "treading a path toward the dawn" was obvious.

Perhaps the aformentioned nautical buff does not know the meaning of the word, "treader"?
Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby Puddleglee » January 6th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Perhaps there's a pun going on?

The crew are on a journey but since it's over the sea they can't 'tread' the path themselves, their ship has to. So, we have Dawn Treader for the reasons noted.

However, as a nautical term 'treader' isn't pronounced as you'd expect. Having said that, I've been through about 10 lists of nautical terms on the web (as well as a few normal on-line dictionaries) and haven't found 'treader' amongst them - so if it is a nautical term it must be fairly obscure. I'll check with the colleague, tomorrow.
'Ridden a wha-ha-ha-hat!' - Bree

Member of the 2456317Club!
Puddleglee
Wardrobian

Postby carol » January 8th, 2009, 9:12 am

carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia