This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

value of first edition set of books

Please don't close the door behind you.

value of first edition set of books

Postby celticwoman » January 22nd, 2009, 3:36 am

Hi-I recently bought a set of the Chronicles of Narnia-illustrations by Pauline Baynes, published by Macmillan
Published 1956-wondering what they might be worth?
celticwoman

Re: value of first edition set of books

Postby Sven » January 22nd, 2009, 8:41 pm

Welcome, Celticwoman!

Your best bet is to take the books to a reputable dealer, or, if you aren't close to one, contact one to find out how to submit them for evaluation. You can take a look and see what online booksellers are offering them for, but bear in mind what a dealer sells them for is usually considerably more than they are willing to pay for them.

One thing, if they are printed as a set (numbered) in 1956, they are not first editions. Not even US firsts. Only The Last Battle came out as a US first by Macmillan in 1956.
Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: value of first edition set of books

Postby celticwoman » January 25th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Thanks for the information-I think they are a set as they are numbered on their covers-Book 1, etc.
CW
celticwoman

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia