This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

Let there be ... beheadings ...

Please don't close the door behind you.

Let there be ... beheadings ...

Postby CKinna » March 11th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Lewis said "Let there be wicked kings and beheadings, battles and dungeons, giants and dragons, and let villains be soundly killed at the end of the book." in his essay "On Three Ways of Writing for Children"

I am teaching an adult ed class at my local community college and exploring the issue of violence in the CON I wanted to present the most striking fact - the number of beheadings in the CON. I am sure this has been discussed in the past, but I need a few voluntary research assistants to list all of the beheadings in the CON and any other extremely violent images Lewis includes.

For the Narnia experts out there with time to kill I appreciate any effort you put forth.

Thanks! :smile:
What does not satisfy when we find it, was not the thing we were desiring. - Brother Jack
CKinna
Wardrobian

Re: Let there be ... beheadings ...

Postby Leslie » March 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Well, there's the one in PC, when one of Miraz's henchmen (can't recall which one) gets his legs and head walloped off in the battle after the single combat.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby Lirenel » March 12th, 2009, 1:24 am

I know my mother was shocked when she first read the beheading in Prince Caspian. Me, I was shocked...that I hadn't even noticed it despite having read the book at least two times before her. Or maybe I read it and it just 'went over my head' so to speak, since I was pretty young when I read it the first time. So I suppose I can tell you that adults care more about things like that than kids.

But take that with a grain of salt because I have a bad habit of skimming books.
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid? - Psalm 27:1

Member of the 2456317 Club
Lirenel
Wardrobian

Postby Stanley Anderson » March 12th, 2009, 2:09 pm

…on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water. And then it seemed to him that as in his dream in the house of Bombadil, the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a fair green country under a swift sunrise.
Stanley Anderson
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » March 12th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby A#minor » June 19th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Oh, well said, Stanley!

I remember re-reading books as an adult that I had read as a child (or had had read out loud to me), and there are all sorts of things I don't remember being in there. I certainly don't remember any beheadings. Yes, I think adults are more sensitive and worried about violence, etc... than children are.
Kids are sheltered too much these days anyways. Violence and pain are realities of life that they ought to learn to cope with eventually, and if you present them with examples of correct behavior when placed in situations of violence, then they are that much more prepared to face it in their own lives. Even if it's just the bully at school or the neighbor's mean dog that bit them, they can relate it to the literary knowledge they've gained and react in an appropriate manner.
Just a thought.
"My brain and this world don't fit each other, and there's an end of it!" - G.K. Chesterton
A#minor
Wardrobian

Postby archenland_knight » August 9th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
archenland_knight
Wardrobian

Postby carol » August 10th, 2009, 7:05 am

One of the great things about being a family without TV in the 60s was that we listened to lots of good radio, including fantastic children's programmes. We were well served by excellent BBC radio serialisations of good classic kids' books, some of which I have read and re-read over the years (anyone else read "Tom's Midnight Garden"?) We had our own mental pictures of the scenes and the characters.
FotF radio dramas have helped bring that for some children.
carol
Wardrobian

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia