This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

motifs in LWW film

Please don't close the door behind you.

motifs in LWW film

Postby Leslie » March 13th, 2009, 2:20 am

I've been spotting a few motifs in Professor Kirke's house - like his apple tobacco holder on his desk, and the model of a horse in Peter and Edmund's bedroom that looks like Strawberry. I can't make out some of the carvings on the wardrobe door, though. There's the big tree in the middle, and a rising sun below it. Above the tree is something vaguely circular -- at first I thought it was a lion head, but now I don't think so. And the carvings at the side are hard to see clearly. On the left side I think I see the "wonderful bird" that was watching over the garden on the hill. Can anyone help me figure out the other carvings?
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Re: motifs in LWW film

Postby msd1835 » March 16th, 2009, 5:14 am

If you go to the link below you will see a great picture of the wardrobe. Above the tree are what appear to be the first two crowns in narnia. Also you have the two rings in the upper right corner. And I believe below that the wood between worlds some of the other ones are still a little hard to make out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/barrywallis/338116556/
msd1835

Postby Leslie » March 16th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Excellent photo - thanks!

I can see the bell of Charn at the bottom of the right-hand panel, and to the right of that appears to be one of the sleeping kings or queens of Charn (also on the far left panel). Above the bell, do you think that is the garden on the hill? Bottom left perhaps represents Strawberry (although it looks more like a chess rook). And then of course Aslan at the very top corners.

The only one that has me really puzzled is the second from the bottom on the right -- unless it is the garden on the hill from a distance.
"What are you laughing at?"
"At myself. My little puny self," said Phillipa.
--Rumer Godden, In This House of Brede
Leslie
Wardrobian

Postby msd1835 » March 19th, 2009, 3:20 pm

It seems to be castle...there is also a great view of the wardrobe on disk 4 of the extended edition dvd set..in the visualizing narnia...they slowly pan the wardrobe's art on the right side...not sure if it represents charn or not but it has the wood underneath it; so I would assume it is in one of the visited worlds...I agree that the horse is Strawberry.
msd1835

Postby glumPuddle » March 22nd, 2009, 7:52 am

Images carved into the wardrobe (according to LWW official movie companion):

The Rings
The Wood Between the Worlds
Charn
The Golden Bell
The First Sunrise
Fledge, the Winged Horse
The Garden on top of the Hill
The Bird in the Tree