This forum was closed on October 1st, 2010. However, the archives are open to the public and filled with vast amounts of good reading and information for you to enjoy. If you wish to meet some Wardrobians, please visit the Into the Wardrobe Facebook group.

DAWNTREADER cover quest

Please don't close the door behind you.

DAWNTREADER cover quest

Postby meu » September 2nd, 2009, 6:16 pm

I wonder if any of you English/American book connoisseurs can help me on this...

I remember from my teens a perfect Dawntreader cover reprinted in some Polish fantasy magazine. I don't recall much details, but it certainly had a picture-frame around, as a contour, and Reepicheep was sitting on that frame, in the lower right corner. The ship itself, I remember, was somewhat drakkar-styled, i.e. the dragon head at the bow had a very long neck, straight and slender. I think the sky was black or at least dark and the sea could have been stormy.

Does anyone remember any cover matching this general outline?

MeU
meu

Re: DAWNTREADER cover quest

Postby Sven » September 2nd, 2009, 8:02 pm

It's the 1980 edition under the Fontana LIons imprint.

Rat! he found breath to whisper, shaking. Are you afraid?
Afraid? murmured the Rat, his eyes shining with unutterable love.
Afraid! Of Him? O, never, never! And yet -- and yet -- O, Mole, I am afraid!
Then the two animals, crouching to the earth, bowed their heads and did worship.
Sven

Re: DAWNTREADER cover quest

Postby meu » September 2nd, 2009, 8:28 pm

Gosh, Sven, you embarrass me... It's twice now that you hit the spot answering my question. Yeah, that's exactly the one. It looked better, though, when I was 11 and about to read Narnia :wink: So the quest is officially over. My only regret is that the Dawntreader in the coming film does't look more like this one. The design follows the Pauline Baynes concept, which I have always found rather clumsy.

You must have noticed that this DT carries what looks like a city/battlements/Native American pueblo on its aftercastle :smile: This detail somehow eluded me...

THX again!
meu

Return to The Chronicles of Narnia